Search the forum,

Discuss Brass connectors with "serrated" threads (why?) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I've been buying parts for a water purification system and notice that some of the brass fittings with external threads (they are size G25 = 1") have regular serrations on them.

Here are a couple of pictures...

m3qtf2cp.png
Screenshot 2021-10-07 204818.png

Other fittings I see available do not have these features....

0u14dllx.png
aq2zktkd.png

I've searched and searched but find no explanation of the serrations.
I'm a bit concerned about their effect on tape I intend to use for sealing them into other components.

Has anyone seen this before and know what it is for?

it's because the fittings are used in other countries where they still use hemp and paste. The threads are roughed up to stop the hemp from slipping when you tighten the fitting.

In France, hemp and paste is the norm, and if we buy fittings that haven't had the threads roughed up then we have to do it ourselves with a hacksaw blade.

it's because the fittings are used in other countries where they still use hemp and paste. The threads are roughed up to stop the hemp from slipping when you tighten the fitting.

In France, hemp and paste is the norm, and if we buy fittings that haven't had the threads roughed up then we have to do it ourselves with a hacksaw blade.
Thanks! I did wonder whether it could be that kind of reason.

So my question is whether it will be ok to use tape, or will it shred the tape and cause the joint to leak?

I scratch the threads for ANY thread-sealed fitting so think you will be absolutely fine with tape. You need plenty of turns, but you'd need plenty of turns even without the serrated threads. Serrated threads is usually a sign of quality.

Why not just use loctite 55 ? So much better than ptfe!
Is it?
I've used tape a bit but never the glue type sealants - just sounds a bit messy; and I've heard tape is easier to clean off if you have to re-do a joint.

I did order one of these in case I needed it...

It's not loctite 55 but I guess it will do the same job.

Loctite 577 is liquid

Loxeal sounds the same as 577 - "anaerobic" so it goes off when o2 is excluded i.e. inside the threads.
577 is awesome btw 👌
Thanks!

I was wondering what could possibly initiate the hardening - especially as it says "anaerobic".

You mention exclusion of O2, but how is inside the threads any different from inside the plastic container it is stored in?

Thanks!

I was wondering what could possibly initiate the hardening - especially as it says "anaerobic".

You mention exclusion of O2, but how is inside the threads any different from inside the plastic container it is stored in?
I searched myself and found....

"LOCTITE® threadlockers cure in the absence of air and presence of metal ions."

So the metal plays a part as well.

There is a list of "inactive" metals where a primer is recommended but brass and copper are amongst the active ones, so no primer needed.

Reply to Brass connectors with "serrated" threads (why?) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock