Search the forum,

Discuss boxing in external central heating pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suedeheadwales

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can advise on the best way to insulate and box in some external central heating pipework. Don't ask why the pipes run outside, I don't even know myself, the plumber told my parents it had something to with not being able to drill through a lintel. Anyway it's done now and even though my dad made a stab at boxing them in, last year they froze up in the severe weather. I'm trying to have a go at doing a proper job of it this year but I'm struggling to know the best way to go about it. I've started off using proper pipe insulation on the plastic pipes but where do I go from here? I only have access to B&Q, Focus and a couple of building suppliers locally so any ideas, web links etc would be welcome. There should be a photo attached btw.

Cheers, Phil.

Attachments

• IMAG0032-1.jpg
    IMAG0032-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 134
hi and welcome.

one things for sure, it wasn't a 'plumber' that concocted up this mess as the pipes are not even clipped.

it is not unusual either as i have seen it before from a d.i.y bodge.

best get a proper heating guy in to give you a quote as this will give you nothing but bother and wasted energy and thet looks like a asbestos down pipe you will have in your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a plumber in and re run the pipes correctly inside the house,I have seen a lot of cowboys but they would not even do that

imho

Thanks for the replies but believe it or not this was installed by a legitimate registered local firm. They didn't even insulate them, but told my parents that they'd have to do it or get someone else in.

The pipes were clipped but I had to unclip them to wrap them in insulation. Unfortunately boxing in is the only option in the short term.

They may be legitimate but certainly not reputable, skilled or experienced going by that effort.
No matter how difficult or awkward it was to do internal, believe me it could be done.

Forget trying to box it in and have an eyesore on the wall. See if you can get another plumber to alter the pipework and make a job of it.

If you are really skint and want to leave them, build a box around and fill with vermiculite. 2 bags should do at around a tenner a bag from builders/plumbers merchants (there will be some local to you).

believe it or not this was installed by a legitimate registered local firm. .

With all due respect suedeheadwales there is no way that this has been carried out by a legitimate reputable firm or tradesman, they may be getting away with parading around your neighbourhood as such but no way are they, if they are registered with any official body, I would send the picture you have posted to them and see what they say, not a lot different from what we are saying

Wish you well and hope you get sorted but due to run near guttering and in corner ,there is no way you can protect in correctly even if you wanted to and if you look around ,I do not think you will see any other properties with water and heating pipes dangling around the outside of the structure

:(:(

imho

I take it that as you are looking to do the work for your dad rather than just give him a hand he may not be that young. No decent plumber. builder, jobber, man would expect a customer to go up a ladder and insulate pipes, particularly if not that young. I'm sure that there must have been a better internal solution anyway. There is corner cutting and then plain bodging. I would think ihat the guy that did it was an idle S.O.B.

this has to win the 'bodge job of the year' award, it is truely classic!

Rerouting the pipes internally probably wont cost much - you cannot in all that is good, leave them as they are . . .

Thanks for the replies. Just spoken to my mother and she confirmed that the plumbers took the easiest option. I suggested getting someone in to reroute the pipes internally but she's only just decorated the bathroom and it would mean ripping up floorboards and retiling etc. She may reconsider next year if I keep on at her, but for now, boxing in and filling with vermiculite is the only way. Cheers all.

If there is no way of routing the pipes inside then I have seen external pipes boxed in ( reasonably ) neatly useing plastic guttering clipped over the insulated pipes .

Thanks verdure. I tried that option but couldn't get guttering wide enough to cover the pipes. Tried using it in parallel but the pipes are too close together. It would've been the simplest option but no matter how I did it I couldn't get it to work.

Lol, Ive just spat my Diamond white over the pc, that is terrible work, as Tamz said there is always a way lintel or no lintel, I have never had or never would have run central heating pipes externaly, get the installers back to do a correct job and pay for any remedials to your mams newly decorated room, Id love to see the rest of thier handy work.

just seen this thread p***ing myself, LOL LOL LOL what TF s**t excuse of a plumber is that as said NO PLUMBER total comedian by the looks of it your parents have been fleeced this guy should be done for crimes against plumbing he is a true pipe strangler

best respect to your dilemma but,

have you thought about charging say a fiver to the local plumbers in your area to take a view in their lunch time.?.
from the proceeds you can get someone in or may find one of the punters will put it right for you free as a gesture.

seriously, you may find timber boxing packed with straw will prevent heat loss and protect from ice, for now.

surely it will run through the kitchen rad then into ext at floor level?.

Seriously guys you cannot advise them to box it in - it goes beyond any bodge job i could know!

If you get a proper plumber in you may find that there a number of options to rout the pipes inside, you cannot be so sure that it will have to go through tiles.

Seriously guys you cannot advise them to box it in - it goes beyond any bodge job i could know!

If you get a proper plumber in you may find that there a number of options to rout the pipes inside, you cannot be so sure that it will have to go through tiles.
good point for the o.p.
it dont cost for a couple of quotes and ideas does it?.

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can advise on the best way to insulate and box in some external central heating pipework. Don't ask why the pipes run outside, I don't even know myself, the plumber told my parents it had something to with not being able to drill through a lintel. Anyway it's done now and even though my dad made a stab at boxing them in, last year they froze up in the severe weather. I'm trying to have a go at doing a proper job of it this year but I'm struggling to know the best way to go about it. I've started off using proper pipe insulation on the plastic pipes but where do I go from here? I only have access to B&Q, Focus and a couple of building suppliers locally so any ideas, web links etc would be welcome. There should be a photo attached btw.

Cheers, Phil.

hahahahaa nice pic refer to thread on licensed plumbers

as others have said definitely get a couple of quotes to get the pipes run inside.

Name and shame. Go to trading standards and report this. These people undermine the reputation of our trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boxing in external central heating pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock