Search the forum,

Discuss Boulter Camray 5 Room Thermostat in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice...

I have a ‘Boulter Camray 5’ boiler with a ‘Boss Therm’ programmer unit which is located in the garage.

I currently have no thermostat in the house, all rads have TRV's fitted, except one in the utility room.

I would like to fit a thermostat, possibly a hive unit but I am a little confused as to which unit I need and also how this room stat will work with the TRV's.

I believe my boiler is a combi, but the programmer unit is for CH and HW.
Both the CH and HW are programmed to be OFF in the day and I still get hot water at my taps, which is my understanding of how a combi works.
So has the wrong programmer been installed from the beginning? should it have been a CH only programmer?
When the HW is programmed to be ON, is it actually doing anything?

Regarding the Hive unit, if the above is correct I am guessing i need the heating only unit? I then program the CH and just leave the HW to operate as and when the taps call for it?

Also, how does a new room stat integrate into my current system in the house, with regards to the TRV's?
I have read up that I need to install the stat in a room which doesn't have a TRV (utility room in my case), can I then use the TRV's in bedroom's to regulate temperature?
My plan is not to move the stat around the house, I simply want a device in the house where I can turn the heating on/off rather than going in the garage all the while. (also monitor what the mrs is using whilst i'm at work! haha)

Sorry for the long winded post and lots of questions!

Look forward to your replies :)

Thanks
Austin

I would say you have a heat only boiler so there will be a cylinder somewhere

Looking at the manual I suspect the two channel programmer is only configured for CH and HW is left on constantly at the boiler. The way these thermal store combis work is the HW is either timed through a programmer and it brings the boiler on at certain times to heat up the store, or its left on constantly and will keep topping up the store as and when the temperature drops. If your programmer was off for HW then the store will cool and then take time to heat up the volume when a tap is opened and flow switch activates.
A room stat can be wired in by removing the link inside the control panel on the PCB, this will give temperature control and stop the boiler cycling on and off unnecessarily.
[automerge]1581893028[/automerge]
From what you've said above I'm assuming your wiring has been customized so that your programmer only controls the CH and there is a link internally to provide HW constantly. When you add an external twin channel programmer the summer/winter switch is made redundant and you should have timed control over both CH and HW. Are you sure the boiler is doing nothing when programmer is switched on for HW? If it ignites the boiler to bring the store upto temp then it is obviously functioning, if it doesn't then its probably wired customly like I said above.
With regards to the Hive thermostat you have two options.
1. Use a single channel receiver with a portable thermostat to control the heating.
Or 2. Wire in a hardwired hive thermostat and utilize the old programmer.
Having said all this I'm curious as to why you don't want to bring the whole system up to modern standards. It might be worth considering upgrading the boiler and system to modern standards rather than adding to a boiler which is not going to be as efficient as a modern one.

Last edited:

Reply to Boulter Camray 5 Room Thermostat in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock