Search the forum,

Discuss boss white, ptfe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rabu

Hi guys, about to swap a radiator, however whats the best way of connnecting the valves? heard some people struggle to get PTFE to seal, others swear by Boss white & Hemp... I have also heard of using Boss white and PTFE, since hemp seems hard to get hold of. Is this ok to mix Boss & PTFE? or will one react with another? any help on this would be welcome.Thanks.

You'll get a few different opinions I'm sure but I use ptfe on it's own. If it doesn't seem to seal well then boss white and hemp. A lot of the lads here rate loctite 55,I've just bought some and it does seem good.

I've only ever used ptfe - just need to make sure you wrap it on in the right direction, keep it neat and use enough of it. I put on about 10 - 15 turns.

55 every time now 6 turns doesnt even have to sit in the threads little dab of paste for luck seems to lube it as well

Loctite 55 is defo best thing I tried
But I don't like it on rad tails as it looks a bit messy sometimes
15 to 20 turns of ptfe

ptfe and that stuff with a yellow lid from pts nothing leaks from that

PTFE tape and Jet Blue from Plumb Centre, with Jet Blue you can use it on potable water and on gas pipes so its universal unlike boss white which you cannot use on potable water.

I can't help but put loads of Loctite 55 on. They say you only need 6 turns with 1/2". I probably do ten, and all the excess is messy looking - and difficult to clean up.

I'll probably go back to PTFE for everything. I have never had a leak with Loctite 55, but it's pretty rare to have one with PTFE too.

thanks everyone for the help, Will stick to using PTFE and maby some jet blue, see how things go with ptfe only first. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boss white, ptfe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock