Search the forum,

Discuss Boss white or PTFE on 1" pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dubman

Hi, I tried connecting a 1" anti return valve on an oil boiler with ptfe tape, but I'm getting a little weeping from the joint. What do you think? Redo it or use boss white and flax, or would it be acceptable to use the PTFE and just put a little boss white on the female thread to seal it better? Thank you.

Shame, Loctite is the nuts. I seem no harm in a bit of compound on the female thread...I mean really what harm is it going to do?

Just checked - they have the Loctite 55 here in Spain. I think 50 meters is about 8 euros...Now I'm not sure which solution would make a better seal. PTFE with a smear of boss white on the female thread or the Loctite 55?? Though it looks like the Loctite would be easier to apply in awkward to get at joints, like the one on my boiler - on the boiler side of the anti-return valve. It was very hard to get the PTFE in there, eventhough the weep seems to be on the other side of the valve, where it joins to the return pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh...so would Loctite 55 be suitable for the anti-return valve on a sealed heating system? (the valve being attached directly to the boiler)

I'm a hair and paste man meself........... despite how i look in me picture!

Yea, originally I was going to go for the bosswhite and flax - till I read that it has toxicity issues and is banned on drinking water pipes. So I used the Loctite 55, which (according to the label) can be used for drinking water pipes. The 150 meters of the Loctite 55 cost just less than 9 euros, and it seems to be very easy to clean off after dismantling, which I discovered after installing the anti return valve the wrong way round! Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking at using the fabled loctite 55 and checked the certified list but its not listed as WRAS approved? Still ok to use on potable water?

Not wras approved says corgi approved on label and says potable water approved
Gas approved

Stag A Jointing Compound Paste
Resistant to gas, steam, water, petrol, oil and mineral acids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boss white or PTFE on 1" pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock