Search the forum,

Discuss Boss strap on a thin wall clay pipe troubles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Soil pipe.jpg

Went to put a boss strap on what i thought was PVC pipe, ended up being a thinwall clay pipe. Is their any way over this apart from a shower waste pump? This is in a bottom floor flat with two flats above. Any help much appreciated. The boss strap was for a low level shower.

Jim

Will that fit into a clay pipe Shaun? Personally I'd be frightened to drill it!!
Thinking perhaps something like this?
50188.jpg

I guess he’s drilled it already else how does he know it’s thinwall ?

Remove the Clay section from the collar just visible in the ground.
Replace with PVC including a boss pipe.

That does however rely on their being enough room to fit everything it.
The clay wall pipe is a different size. Having trouble finding out what that is, so i can see if their is a PVC alternative that will go to 110mm

Clay is larger diameter you need an adapter similar to this, that will go inside the clay.
You may have to cut the upper section of the clay connector to allow the adapter to pass through and fit insde the clay still in the ground. Pvc 110mm will then fit into the adapter from roughly the same height as the clay starts now.

Pvc to Clay.PNG

Clay is larger diameter you need an adapter similar to this, that will go inside the clay.
You may have to cut the upper section of the clay connector to allow the adapter to pass through and fit insde the clay still in the ground. Pvc 110mm will then fit into the adapter from roughly the same height as the clay starts now.

View attachment 39528

Does that go all the way in to the top lip?

No just to the fins,
One thing you will need to check for is the depth down to the invert of the horizontal drain run. Part H requires a minimum of 450mm (up to 3 stories) from the invert to the first connection to stop the shower trap seal being lost through compression at the base of the stack. You can also end up with a shower tray full of suds or worse as the flats above discharge.

You might be able to get a manifold in there under the branch, to give the additional low level shower connection at floor level.
I would be installing a waterless trap (HepV0 or similar) to the shower just in case, as it also acts as a non-return valve.

Reply to Boss strap on a thin wall clay pipe troubles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock