• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Boss strap on a thin wall clay pipe troubles in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

jimbow

Reaction score
Soil pipe.jpg

Went to put a boss strap on what i thought was PVC pipe, ended up being a thinwall clay pipe. Is their any way over this apart from a shower waste pump? This is in a bottom floor flat with two flats above. Any help much appreciated. The boss strap was for a low level shower.

Jim

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
That very bottom bit the black ring looks like it would be push fit?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Will that fit into a clay pipe Shaun? Personally I'd be frightened to drill it!!
Thinking perhaps something like this?
I guess he’s drilled it already else how does he know it’s thinwall ?

snowhead

Plumber
Reaction score
Remove the Clay section from the collar just visible in the ground.
Replace with PVC including a boss pipe.

That does however rely on their being enough room to fit everything it.
And co-operation from the 2 flats above, otherwise it'll get very messy

OP
J

jimbow

Reaction score
Remove the Clay section from the collar just visible in the ground.
Replace with PVC including a boss pipe.

That does however rely on their being enough room to fit everything it.
The clay wall pipe is a different size. Having trouble finding out what that is, so i can see if their is a PVC alternative that will go to 110mm

snowhead

Plumber
Reaction score
Clay is larger diameter you need an adapter similar to this, that will go inside the clay.
You may have to cut the upper section of the clay connector to allow the adapter to pass through and fit insde the clay still in the ground. Pvc 110mm will then fit into the adapter from roughly the same height as the clay starts now.

Pvc to Clay.PNG

OP
J

jimbow

Reaction score
Clay is larger diameter you need an adapter similar to this, that will go inside the clay.
You may have to cut the upper section of the clay connector to allow the adapter to pass through and fit insde the clay still in the ground. Pvc 110mm will then fit into the adapter from roughly the same height as the clay starts now.

View attachment 39528
Does that go all the way in to the top lip?

chris watkins

Plumber
Reaction score
No just to the fins,
One thing you will need to check for is the depth down to the invert of the horizontal drain run. Part H requires a minimum of 450mm (up to 3 stories) from the invert to the first connection to stop the shower trap seal being lost through compression at the base of the stack. You can also end up with a shower tray full of suds or worse as the flats above discharge.

Last Plumber

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
The bottom section looks like 'supaslaeeve' to me. I don't know if they still make fittings for it but if they do, they will be at the builders merchants.
If that does not help, my apologies, I skim read this one.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom