Search the forum,

Discuss Boliermate 2000 in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I am asking this here because it is almost impossible to get a local plumber to answer the phone at the moment! Must be a busy time of year.

I have never paid much attention to the heating system in my house in the few year I have been here until last week when it stopped working. It is a boiler in the garage feeding a Boilermate 2000 heat store upstairs. The central heating pump on the boilermate died and fried its main board. I replaced the board and bought a replacement pump (grundfos 15-50x18) and got a plumber who works for a bulding firm out on a homer to fit the pump.

Working again but when checking all the radiators I noticed that they are all heating up from the gate valve side ie pipe on gate valve gets hot first, pipe at thermostatic valve is cold and heats up after the radiator gets hot. I suspect it has always been this way as I have never really paid attention to the radiators until now.

Is this an issue? Am I correct in thinking that the thermostatic valve should be on the flow side and gate vale on the return and the raditaro should heat from that side? I think that the pumps can only run in one direction and the new pump is installed correctly, there is direction of flow arrow on it and it is pointing the same way (down) as the old pump, polarity is correct also.

Would that mean that when the house was built, all the radiators in the house were plumbed up the wrong way round? Seems unlikely....

Should I just leave it alone??

Pump fitted the correct way ?

I doesn't matter which side the flow is, traditionally your right but valves used to be unidirectional, and before that one pipe systems were entirely dependant on flow direction, now all domestic valves tend to be bidirectional and you could actually argue that TRV would be best on return

Unless I had any problems with function then I wouldn't think about it.
I'm sure boilermate pump in on flow so should be pumping away from store?

I doesn't matter which side the flow is, traditionally your right but valves used to be unidirectional, and before that one pipe systems were entirely dependant on flow direction, now all domestic valves tend to be bidirectional and you could actually argue that TRV would be best on return
Thanks, so probably no need to bother about it. Didn't seem likely that a plumber would fit all the valves in the house that way by mistake.

Yes, I checked the old pump before it was removes and flow arrow was pointing down as well. Direct replacement for a new one, same model anyway.
Hi I currently have the same issue you had with a fried PCB that i'm told will be bacuse one of the pumps failed. How did you identify which pump had failed and needed replacing please?

Reply to Boliermate 2000 in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock