Search the forum,

Discuss Boilers and Powerflush - a one time deal ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is there a "typical" interval for doing a powerflush?
Reason for asking is that it was mentioned on a recent visit by "ServeHome".
I couldn't swear to it, but I'm sure that when it was done previously I was told that I only needed it to be done once.

History: All in 2009.
New Boiler (British/Scottish Gas 330+ High Efficiency Boiler).
Installed MagnaClean Filter.
PowerFlush done.
Installed System Water treatment.
Boiler serviced - Annually (2009-present)

So coming up to 10 years since the install above. Is this typical time-span after which efficiency falls enough to require further action e.g. Boiler replacement, power-flush etc ?

Is it something I can check myself e.g. If the radiators aren't warming up enough, or there are cold spots in them etc . then is that a sign of accumulating sludge ?. Can't say I have noticed anything obvious. I do get situations where they are hot at the bottom and cold at the top. But usually I just use the 'key' to let the air out from the top and then they seem to fill up ok.

Probably "how long is a piece of string" question, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Many Thanks.

If BG power flushed the system. Then if it needs doing again call them and they will do it for free the second time. As long as you are still the homeowner. As far as I can remember.

Correct BG power flush carries a lifetime warranty. It’s in the very small print

Generally speaking if a radiator is cold around the outside but hot in the middle its air, if its hot around the outside but cold in the middle its sludge. However the pump may need attention or the radiators balancing.

Strange for this to be mentioned in summer... people don't usually have the radiators on this time of year, maybe the home serve guy was up selling or trying it on

Correct BG power flush carries a lifetime warranty. It’s in the very small print

I should imagine in the very very small print you get a lifetime warranty as long as they look after it for the entire time.

If the system was installed correctly, cleaned and treated then it should be fine. I would not expect it to need another flush.

The Boiler has an expected life of around ten years dependent on use.
If it is working well, leave it. It may be ever so slightly less efficient than when it was installed but it is not going to be something you would normally notice (provided the system was installed correctly and left clean) on your Gas bill or in performance, particularly as you have had it serviced regular.

It probably is not worth spending too much money on if it breaks down due to age, as all parts are the same age and will likely be worn to the same degree. Like the old car, once you start spending it tends to go on and eventually you are going to replace it anyway.

If you feel unsure about the water quality or doubt what you are being told, then if you are reasonably competent at DIY, you can take a water sample from the system and have it analyzed. If you look online for the Fernox System Health check, that will tell you what to do and you will receive a test report back and advice on the water in the system. Forewarned is forearmed.

Hi

The powerflushes carry a lifetime warranty only if you have the home care plan in place and don’t break it.
If you don’t have the certificate it can still be verified.
If it’s the boiler I’m thinking of it’s a rebadged glow worm.
The heat exchangers on them are notorious for blocking up unless I just come across all the bad ones.
If you don’t have any issues I would say dose the system with inhibitor and all should be good.
If you want to see how dirty the system is you could buy a tds meter and check a sample of the water.
Hope it helps

That’s just not true about homecare. I have two customers that had flushes and started getting circulation issues and BG reflushed foc no questions asked

Thats what it states on the certificates I issue. That’s to keep the lifetime warranty.
All flushed otherwise come with a 12 month warranty.

Reply to Boilers and Powerflush - a one time deal ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock