Discuss Boiler with no radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it ok, after draining the system and removing all but one radiator to turn on the combi boiler, in order to get hot water, until new radiators are installed?

I've left the pressure at 0 so haven't filled up the system and have put capnuts on each TRV side just in case. (Couldn't get capnuts to fit lock shield 15mm or 22mm) So I could pressurise if needed.

Thanks, Greg

Test4Less - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reaction score
No, if you dont re pressurise the system the boiler won’t fire and the pump won’t run

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
No your boiler requires a min heat leak at a min you could link the flow and return pipe from the rad valves eg stick a pipe between the valves

S

Sharp Point

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

I presume the only problem would be if I turned the heating on, with no water in system, and this could damage the pump or something.
Sorry, didn’t you said you say you were leaving one radiator on with water in?

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t you said you say you were leaving one radiator on with water in?
Yes, but I should say there's actually two because I couldn't close the TRV on second so leaving it till new radiators come. I haven't filled the system so there's no water, fully drained.

So I did turn the boiler back on and hot water came out fine. I just wanted to check if this was going to damage the boiler in anyway.

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it ok, after draining the system and removing all but one radiator to turn on the combi boiler, in order to get hot water, until new radiators are installed?

I've left the pressure at 0 so haven't filled up the system and have put capnuts on each TRV side just in case. (Couldn't get capnuts to fit lock shield 15mm or 22mm) So I could pressurise if needed.

Thanks, Greg
carry on re pressurise to 1 bar bleed etc. switch it on open valves etc and give it a go. should be ok ...what sort of combi....lets us know how you get on, makevsure the rad is open and bled

S

Sharp Point

Yes, but I should say there's actually two because I couldn't close the TRV on second so leaving it till new radiators come. I haven't filled the system so there's no water, fully drained.

So I did turn the boiler back on and hot water came out fine. I just wanted to check if this was going to damage the boiler in anyway.
It is a Sunday and I am hungover, but I assume there’s water in the boiler?

OP
G
Reaction score
When I say there's no water in the system I mean I've drained the radiators by the drain cock so pipes are empty.

"Rob Foster"
I have a Worcester Greenstar iErp combi boiler.

Reaction score
is there any water in you tho..sounds like it might be pure alcholol...and why not it was saturday after all ...Cheers
Rob Foster aka centalheatking

S

Sharp Point

Offshore gas... thank you ever so much for the dislike, did it cross your mind that I got the wrong end of the stick? The initial post from the OP wasn’t very clear and I was hanging from the night before.

Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom