• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Boiler temp monitoring system in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Bchatterton

Reaction score
i just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of a system that can be added to Boilers to monitor the temperature the boiler is set to and the time it has been left on. I manage some properties where tenants raise issues about condensation but when we go in there is no heating on despite them saying other wise. I didn’t know if there was some sort of device which can be added to a boiler that I can recall when and how it is being used.

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Smart stats will tell you everything you want to know depending on the make of boiler some companies own stats will give you full system stats

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
I manage some properties where tenants raise issues about condensation but when we go in there is no heating on despite them saying other wise.
Personally, my experience with condensation has always been more about air movement than heat. Most people do not keep their heating off for overly extended periods and of course running it to purely combat condensation is both extremely wasteful of energy & money.

IMHO you should be looking at the following:
1 - making sure the extract system is appropriate for the job - most are utterly useless. To be effective, my rule of thumb is that an extract should 'grab' a full size a4 sheet.
2 - make sure a fan overruns by enough to do the job required
3 - if its 'bad', consider running the fan for 15 minutes at a slower speed every 2 hours during the day with a PIR sensor override up to full speed as required.
4 - automate fan running. DO NOT give tenants a choice as to turning it on as they simply will NOT do it. Use PIR sensors.
5 - Maintain the darn things! Minimum of annually strip the fan out and clean it. Also clean out the ductwork so the system continues to do its job effectively.

These things will 'cost' you to install, but they will reduce redecoration costs and potential health hazards such as mould which every landlord is obliged to address. Ultimately it is a lower cost route for occupants too.

Chuck

Reaction score
Personally, my experience with condensation has always been more about air movement than heat...
YorkshireDave is spot on here and gives some v. good advice.

There are three main sources of humidity in a dwelling: kitchen, bathroom, drying washing. The first two have to be dealt with by ventilation, preferably automatic if it's a rented property. Make sure that the windows in other rooms have a sensible 'trickle ventilation' mechanism. Train occupants to keep the kitchen and bathroom doors shut. Put a humidty meter in the living room so the occupants can see when it's getting to an unhealthy level, say above 50%, and take action with extra ventilation and/or heating.

The 'clothes drying' issue is a big problem. People, especially with young chidlren, need to be able to dry washing. Unless given a convenient alternative, they will use radiators spread thoughout the house. So, It needs to be made easiest to use the kitchen or bathroom (which are ventilated). Just a couple of stainless steel hooks in the bathroom that a short 'washing line' can be hung from can make all the difference. A tumble dryer is another option but electricity is expensive so people often avoid using them.

Humidity is a real problem in modern houses because they are virtually sealed by thermal insulation measures. Personally, I think that the Building Regs ought to include an energy efficient 'drying closet', with proper ventilation and a plumbed in dehumidifier. I can't see this happening anytime soon, however.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom