Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Sizing/Futureproofing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, I am planning to have my gravity fed system converted to an unvented system with a system boiler. The house is 4 bed 2 bathroom (1 bath 2 showers). 15 radiators at present. I have been offered either a 26kW or 32kW system boiler, the difference in price being about £100. I have been having a look on the web about boiler sizing and dont seem to find any definitive answers as to which would be the better option for this property? I plan on extending in a couple of years and possibly adding 4-5 more rads and approx. 35sqm of water fed underfloor heating. In the event of me extending, i dont want to be in a position where a 26 needs replacing to facilitate the extended system. Likewise i dont want to get the 32 and find it costs a fortune if i dont extend. The 32 modulates to 6kW and the 26 to about 5 kW.

Thanks,

To comply with building regs at the time the extension would have a substantially lower heat loss than the equivalent area in the current house and will reduce the heat loss from the house by eliminating all or part of an external less well insulated wall.
So you don't need to increase boiler size purely on the additional sq footage, ideally you need the calculation for the extension doing before picking the boiler.

If you time the hot water to reheat when no space heating is timed, then you only need boiler rated to the space heating requirements and don’t have to add on hot water requirement.

Reply to Boiler Sizing/Futureproofing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock