Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler short cycling/ Flow issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Dear forum readers,
I have had quite a lot of work done to my CH system including TRV replacement, new radiator installation, new pump installed and several repairs as a result of the work including repair of leaks under the concrete floors!
However, I am still faced with some serious challenges and issues. I am experience the following that weren't existing before all of this:

1. Boiler short cycling when HW is on (30s on/off)
2. Trickling/gurgling sounds from boiler and pump area.

Now I have noticed:
3: Boiler short cycling when CH is on
4. The flow of water from all taps is significantly lower (i.e the pressure at which water flows out of the tap is much lower).

I have nearly spent £2000 on all of this work so far and am concerned of the ever spiralling cost and the feeling I am not getting anywhere. I really need some help!
Thanks!

New pump and rads fitted, no new boiler? What boiler is It? What about other external controls like the 3 port or 2 ports? Did you have an issue with sludge before the work?

As above from Craig , pics will help , but initially it doesn’t sound right .

We have a S-plan system, F+E tank, a cold water storage tank in the loft and a condensing boiler that is non-modulating. I have Main Heat only High Efficiency condensing boiler and is suitable for the open vented system that I have. I have pics here + I hope this helps.
Today I noticed that my living rm Rad has massive knocking noise, with a slight hint of hammering. The TRV is on the flow side and I can press pin down fine without hammering. The kncoking/hammering is noticeable when system is first turned on and rads start warming up.

IMG_5676.JPG

Boiler scheme.001.jpeg

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

Boiler woes.001.jpeg

Boiler woes.002.jpeg

Boiler woes.003.jpeg

Boiler woes.004.jpeg

Pump on return is not good as most of system will be under negative pressure & likely to draw air in.
Where does the "Flow pipe" shown next to the cold feed go ? I take it that is just the open vent or does it go up to the cylinder above ?
Vent pipes should not be submerged, it will not allow air to vent correctly, it just needs cutting back above water level.

Last edited:
Cylinder stat looks like it is wired straight to a zone valve which is below the blue lever valve (not fully open) to the left of the cylinder.

There is a lot going on here which doesn't look right & the only way it is going to get sorted properly is to have eyes on site, time to find a good heating person local & ask them to investigate.

Is the zone valve wiring not just going to a wiring center?

Either way I agree with. Chris Watkins, needs a decent engineer in.

Dear all, apologies for the late response. Been away for the week. Thanks for the responses, I will aim to have this looked at by someone else to get an idea of what to do.Thanks!

Reply to Boiler short cycling/ Flow issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock