Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler servicing - flue test nozzles not easily accessible in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vokera Compact A combi boiler. All the clearance distances around it required by the manufacturer for servicing are good. However there is not very much space in front of the access caps/nozzles at the bottom of the flue. I understand that these caps are used when the boiler is serviced to check on the gas composition inside the flue.

I have been told that a standard gas testing flue kit has a straight unflexible copper tube that goes into the flue for testing. The issue is that because there is not a large clear distance in front of the caps, an unflexible tube would not fit in.

I am told that some engineer's use a flexible pipe to go inside the flue through the screw caps. Is that the case and can I expect all servicing engineers to have a kit that has the required flexible pipe?

Thanks

There is a good chance that an engineer will not be able to service the boiler if he can't get a flue gas analysis. They will write that down as a fault on the service paperwork and may not even service any of it until that is accessible. Depending upon the flue terminal location they may however be able to get a reading there instead which may be acceptable. I only ever worked on oil though so gas boilers may be different in that regard.

Any chance of a pic of your install ? Eg the flue

Thanks for your comments - here's some photos.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's not good where does that boxing go ?

That's not good where does that boxing go ?

It goes straight through the pitched roof into the vertical flue terminal.

The vertical flue terminal is accessible from an adjoining roof window but of course it's one of the new black plastic ones that look very watertight - and hence probably are also maybe "gas flue testing tight"....

Any chance of a few more pics of the boxing and flue near the window ?

Also you say you have a vokera yet the flue is clamped with a Vaillant clamp??? And the test points are common sense really

Yes that would work. It’s working on the assumption that they have a Kane analyser, that they haven’t already spent out on a CPA1 kit and that they don’t just see it as preventative how the kitchen fitter has cut the cupboard. I wouldn’t buy a flexible tester just for one job

It would strike me as the easiest option to just cut out more of the cupboard top or completely remove and create a removable top if it’s important that it must be covered

^^^^^ thats what I would do.
Are you going a bit over the top sourcing flexi probes for the heating engineer , just warn him prior to a service or sort the cupboard .

Indeed! Although to be fair, the manufacturer's instructions don't refer to a space required in front of part of the flue.
There will be a dimension for above the boiler and yours clearly does not meet that requirement. Is this the same install you were asking about last month?

Last edited:
Only if you have the faintest experience does it become common sense.
True enough mate but the fact that they’re asking means they understand.

Vaillant been out and voided the warranty?
Is it fitted under a worktop?
Can the trap be removed? Valves accessed?

Vaillant been out and voided the warranty?
Is it fitted under a worktop?
Can the trap be removed? Valves accessed?
Bloody hell yes you’re right. It is isn’t it. It’s not a cupboard. I was too focussed on the flue

Think it’s a single vertical straight out the roof mate

How the hell are you supposed to access that boiler for servicing ? this is a joke ! can you put photo on of boiler please ! why was it fitted below worktop ? Think you will find most GS guys would walk a way from this one, what happens when it go's wrong ???

As far as getting the flue analyser in, i've used just a bit of u-gauge hose before, and one of the pressure testing attachments in my Kane kit, it only needs to be able to draw the flue gases in at the end of the day. Looking at how tight that worktop is to the top of the boiler i'd be surprised if they can either get the front of the case off to be honest, they lift off upwards.

any decent gsr engineer will know how to test that all flue joints should be inspected so casing may have to come off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler servicing - flue test nozzles not easily accessible in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock