Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, just looking for some opinions from gas engineers. I hadn't had our boiler serviced for several years so decided it was a good idea to have it done. I asked an engineer how much for a boiler service, he said £70. I wasn't at home when he turned up but apparently was here for 20-30 mins, did some kind of emissions test (there was a printout) and issued an annual gas safety cert. I left a copy of the service manual in case he wasn't familiar with the boiler. I'm not a gas engineer but surely it would take more time than this to (and I'm quoting from the manual's service section) check the spark electrode for damage, clean the burner, combustion chamber and heat exchanger, flush the condensate drain and carry out a combustion check. Now whether or not you'd charge more than £70 for that, these are the servicing requirements and I asked for a boiler "service" not a gas safety check. He left with the boiler still having the ignition fault flashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
service procedure aside ,if it had a pre existing fault,as you said still having the ignition fault flashing,a service wont cure this,you have a fault that needs investigating and charging for separately ,however if it needed a full strip down service,thats what it should have got

what you needed was a repair doing and a service done on completion, depending on the boiler MFIs for what needs doing. As you say you've had a safety check, but it could be you were trying it on a bit and now your a bit miffed you've been caught out. So now you need to get someone to do the repair and actually service your boiler, which like a car should be done annually. This it keep going longer and work more efficiently

service procedure aside ,if it had a pre existing fault,as you said still having the ignition fault flashing,a service wont cure this,you have a fault that needs investigating and charging for separately ,however if it needed a full strip down service,thats what it should have got

Yes I didn't make it clear in my post that there was an existing ignition fault, but this made me think perhaps something needs cleaning so that's why I thought it needs a service. No idea if that would have solved it but my question's about what to expect from a service, if that's what I've requested from an engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
what you needed was a repair doing and a service done on completion, depending on the boiler MFIs for what needs doing. As you say you've had a safety check, but it could be you were trying it on a bit and now your a bit miffed you've been caught out. So now you need to get someone to do the repair and actually service your boiler, which like a car should be done annually. This it keep going longer and work more efficiently

Nah wasn't trying it on. I told him when I booked the service about the ignition fault, so was upfront about it. As I said in my other reply, I thought maybe a service would clean up some of the parts and get rid of the ignition fault but wasn't expecting it. My question is whether or not all the checks I mentioned could be done in half hour (max) that's all.

Nah wasn't trying it on. I told him when I booked the service about the ignition fault, so was upfront about it. As I said in my other reply, I thought maybe a service would clean up some of the parts and get rid of the ignition fault but wasn't expecting it. My question is whether or not all the checks I mentioned could be done in half hour (max) that's all.

Yes they could've been. Who watched him carry out the service?

like a car service oil is changed etc, but if it wont start thats a repair that needs sorting first. safety check costs around that price with me, service a bit more, less with others or more in London. so you havent been seen off per se but it probably isnt right to say you have had a service.

like a car service oil is changed etc, but if it wont start thats a repair that needs sorting first. safety check costs around that price with me, service a bit more, less with others or more in London. so you havent been seen off per se but it probably isnt right to say you have had a service.

Yes but could it be possible the only "repair" needed in some cases when there's an ignition fault is to service/clean the boiler?

Depending on the age of the boiler but a modern boiler service is fairly easy and simple, the flue test (the print out) reading will tell the engineer if the boiler needs a full strip down, with modern boilers you can actually do more harm opening up the combustion chamber if not needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need some advice please. My Baxi boiler went recently faulty. A Baxi engineer came and fixed it in 10 minutes, he said that the ignition lead was connected incorrectly. He said that although the boiler was working, it was struggling until it failed. The boiler was serviced 2 months ago by a...
Replies
Views
Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi all, need someone to do my annual gas service and issue me a domestic gas safety certificate. In addition the megaflow cylinder needs checking and anti corrosion electrode replacement (have the part). In addition some of the honeywell motorised valves need replacement.
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock