Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Return Temperature Control in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

John.g

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I have rarely if ever seen mention of this form of control being used, which Valliant, for one, have available for years, is there a reason for this?

I wasn’t aware of this, I’m guessing the need is for lower temperatures required for commissioning? Vaillant Ecotec Pro has flow and return temperature accessible via the diagnostic menu, which others may too?

If you used 'return temperature' directly as the primary form of control, the long time-lag between changing the boiler output and seeing a response on the return temperature would result in a system that is unstable, i.e. the boiler would short-cycle.

Modern domestic boilers often do, however, modulate to keep the difference between the flow and return temperatures to a fixed amount, e.g. 20degC subject to not exceeding the specified maximum flow temperature. They may also wrap the primary control loop in a secondary control loop that monitors return temperature to ensure that condensing occurs when possible. The algorithms used are proprietory so you need to be pretty determined (and have a data-logger and some thermocouples) to figure out exactly what strategies are being used by a given manufacturer.

Last edited:
I don't think the control is direct as someone on here (Vaillant Ecotec 418) briefly c/o to Return Temp control, it had been set to Flow control with a SP of 70C which gave a return temp of 55C, the target temp was then set to 55C on c/o and the flow/return temps then fell to 47C/37C, with a observed d.05 of 36C which is the "Determined heating flow set target temperature", presumably, this was now the calculated return temperature required?. Unfortunately, as there were more pressing problems at the time, the test was not continued, maybe there's a volunteer or two out there?.

Reply to Boiler Return Temperature Control in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock