Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler replacement - Regular (with Boilermate) vs. Combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to a 4 bed detached house (2 bathrooms) built in 2005, in Bromsgrove (B60), with the original 15 year old set up of a Glowworm Micron 60FF regular boiler coupled to a Boilermate 2000 storage unit.

The boiler itself is not very efficient and I'm just waiting for the Boilermate to go wrong! I'm also not convinced that it's constant heating of hot water is efficient either.

So, I'm looking for a new solution. So far, from Boxt/Eon/Warmzilla, I've had 3 different and conflicting sets of advice:

1/ Replace both boiler and Boilermate with a high power combi, such as Worcester 8000 Life 35kw, add 3rd Gen Nest - my question on this, could this support running 2 showers at the same time? (That model has c. 12Lpm flow rate). Total cost = £3,000.

2/ Replace boiler like-for-like with new conventional boiler, such as Worcester 18Ri/24Ri, and upgrade to 3rd Gen Nest. Keep Boilermate as is. Total cost = £2,000.

3/ Same as 2/, except also replace Boilermate 2000 with new unvented cylinder (eg. Megaflo). Total cost (inc. boiler) = £4,000.

I like the idea of a combi (less to go wrong, no storage cylinder, hot water on tap), but am just concerned that it wouldn't be suitable for a 4 bed family house with 2 bathrooms? I have c. 15Lpm water flow rate from taps.

Your advice would be very much recommended, thanks so much!

Many thanks,

George

Attachments

• IMG_9872.JPG
    IMG_9872.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 9
Online surveys are never going to be great.

Go with a local installer, how will you get an online company to return if there are issues and annual servicing.

boiler and unvented cylinder will always be the best option if funds and space allow.

System boiler (Not conventional/heat only boiler) and Unvented Cylinder.

Or a large output combi such as a 40kw; and accept you'll probably be able to only run one shower at once. Don't like storage combis personally, a lot more to go wrong. If you're going down that route you're better off with boiler & cylinder set up.

Same as above, system boiler and unvented cylinder. I’ve done a few of these taking out a boiler mate, the conversion is fairly straightforward as all the pipework is in place, heat recovery times with unvented cylinders are low these days with ssteel cylinders which are super insulated. Don’t go for a megaflo, you’re just paying extra for the name, go for a joule or similar.
Forget combi.

Yorkshire youth I bet u don’t remember the yorky fittings a bit diy in the end when I worked on the council doing call outs with old lag Dave we went thru loads ,eh but we pocketed a few we’ll garage full tbh lolll

Unvented cylinder and system boiler. With two bathrooms you wont be disappointed. Saying that only if you have enough water pressure and flow.

Reply to Boiler replacement - Regular (with Boilermate) vs. Combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock