Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Problems, spiking pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a 'Vokera Unica HE High efficiency combi boiler' which was working fine until this morning.

When I got back home this evening, the boiler pressure was at 0 bar, and the hot water wouldn't work.

I switched off the boiler, and managed to get the pressure back to 1 bar with the filling loop. However, when first turning on the water, the water was hot, but the pressure increased rapidly past 3 bar even, and some safety switched and again the pressure dropped and the water went cold. I reset again, and turned hot water on only (before both hot water and central heating were on). This time, the pressure seems stable at 1 bar and the water is fine.

What could have been the problem? Is it safe to switch back to central heating and hot water? Do I need to contact a gas engineer?

No it's not something you've done. It's a common problem but I will not say what incase you decide to get ambitious.

You have an excess pressure issue, that's all you're getting from me. Please please please do not fiddle, you will be breaking the law and potentially putting yours and any loved ones at risk.

You have an excess pressure issue, that's all you're getting from me. Please please please do not fiddle, you will be breaking the law and potentially putting yours and any loved ones at risk.
Also one other question, is it safe right now? Can I use hot water in the time being, or should I just fully switch off the boiler?

The boiler safety controls mean it should be safe but running the burner is only going to exasperate the problem.

Hello, I have the exact same issue as the original poster which resulted in a burst expansion unit inside a new 4 year old boiler. A 2nd expansion unit was added 6 months ago which has also just burst. Can you tell me what the issue is so I can inform the service engineer? Thanks

Hello, I have the exact same issue as the original poster which resulted in a burst expansion unit inside a new 4 year old boiler. A 2nd expansion unit was added 6 months ago which has also just burst. Can you tell me what the issue is so I can inform the service engineer? Thanks

They shouldn’t be “bursting” like you’re describing.

You may have a heating water quality issue (powerflush/magnet/etc). Or it could be filling/pressure/pipework/safety issue.

Tell the engineer you’ve had two go and a competent engineer should be able to diagnose the fault.

Reply to Boiler Problems, spiking pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock