Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler pressure near 3. How to depressurise boiler system with no bleed key?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Earlier this week I tried to top up pressure in my boiler. The screws that allow me to do this are buggered but turns out I must have been able to turn it without realising. The pressure has gone up slowly from near zero to near 3!

Now I can't turn the screw a particular way. I have no radiator bleed key. What other way can I safely lower the pressure?

Many thanks in advance!
NewBee

It's funny that I read this thread today, when my own boiler has gone mental too.

Our expansion vessel has gone. So it's not doing its job right. The pressure keeps dropping below the point (0.6 bar) where the boiler shuts down. So no heating or hot water.

I keep topping it up to 1.1 bar. And once the heating comes back on and it warms up, it pushes to above 2.5 bar.

Had the engineer out, he's replacing the vessel this week sometime, but he says it's okay - when the pressure gets too high it blows off automatically. There's a pipe outside he kinda pointed at and said I should find water coming out of it. I haven't yet. But I'm never around to see it drop or 'blow off' as he put it.

So I'm guessing, that you are in fact safe. (I'm not a plumber, not even a water one, let alone a skilled gas one! - Keep that in mind).

As for the actual problem though, you really need it servicing by the sounds of it, and that can only be done by a registered gas plumber.

I'd say get three quotes, don't go for the cheapest, and don't pay a call-out charge to quote. You should find somebody who doesn't charge to estimate fixing it if you look around.

We will soon have our own directory of plumbers and gas engineers to link you to, but no good right now. The directory isn't finished yet. :(

It's funny that I read this thread today, when my own boiler has gone mental too.

Our expansion vessel has gone. So it's not doing its job right. The pressure keeps dropping below the point (0.6 bar) where the boiler shuts down. So no heating or hot water.

I keep topping it up to 1.1 bar. And once the heating comes back on and it warms up, it pushes to above 2.5 bar.

Had the engineer out, he's replacing the vessel this week sometime, but he says it's okay - when the pressure gets too high it blows off automatically. There's a pipe outside he kinda pointed at and said I should find water coming out of it. I haven't yet. But I'm never around to see it drop or 'blow off' as he put it.

So I'm guessing, that you are in fact safe. (I'm not a plumber, not even a water one, let alone a skilled gas one! - Keep that in mind).

As for the actual problem though, you really need it servicing by the sounds of it, and that can only be done by a registered gas plumber.

I'd say get three quotes, don't go for the cheapest, and don't pay a call-out charge to quote. You should find somebody who doesn't charge to estimate fixing it if you look around.

We will soon have our own directory of plumbers and gas engineers to link you to, but no good right now. The directory isn't finished yet. :(
Remember you do not have to replace the expansion vessel in the boiler. These are usually expensive as they are a bespoke part pertinent to the boiler. Its quite safe and way cheaper to get a generic expansion vessel and stick it on the system in an out of the way location. The difference in price can be eye watering. Boiler ones up to £100 + generic ones from BES Gas Controls around £40.00 .to £60.00 ..centralheatking

Last edited:
There you go complete with all the install kit..chking

Attachments

• B4F2E2D9-BD43-4772-9A5C-4E9EC9A3CDD1.png
    B4F2E2D9-BD43-4772-9A5C-4E9EC9A3CDD1.png
    707.8 KB · Views: 5

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your reply! It's good to know I'm not the only one at this hour with this type of issue.

I live in a flat so I'm out sure where the water gets expelled from - the 'blowing off' stage happens.

Does anyone know if the boiler is safe to use in the meantime, or should I switch it off until I can get someone round to service it. I had it serviced and topped up last year with seemingly no issues.

Thanks to all others who've replied so far!

NewBee

You could create a temporary vessel with a small radiator. Close valves, drain down. Open one side and this will work as a temporary fix till an engineer can do it properly and change your filling loop for one that works.

You could create a temporary vessel with a small radiator. Close valves, drain down. Open one side and this will work as a temporary fix till an engineer can do it properly and change your filling loop for one that works.
Unfortunately that goes way beyond my skill set, but it does sound like a good idea Duncan.

Cheers @centralheatking I'll pass that info onto my engineer. :) You're a star.

@NewBee I'm 50% sure that boilers have their own cut-offs and safety features built in. Mine certainly cuts out when things become erroneous on it. Which seems to happen quite a bit.

I'd guess, and people can correct me here, that it's okay for now.

A boiler needs an annual check. So if it was done last year, it's probably due again.

Cheers @centralheatking I'll pass that info onto my engineer. :) You're a star.

@NewBee I'm 50% sure that boilers have their own cut-offs and safety features built in. Mine certainly cuts out when things become erroneous on it. Which seems to happen quite a bit.

I'd guess, and people can correct me here, that it's okay for now.

A boiler needs an annual check. So if it was done last year, it's probably due again.
Thanks for the reassurance Dan, I'll take it even if it is only a 50-50 :)

Yep, I've reached out to the plumber I used last year but so far no reply.

Thanks again.

Make sure you try find another one if you need to. You don't want to leave it like that. And it does sound like it needs looking at.

It's cold outside though tonight, so you need your heating! :)

Reply to Boiler pressure near 3. How to depressurise boiler system with no bleed key?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock