Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler pressure (and short cycle) issue - not just EV in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Looking for your opinion on this please…

Large house with Worcester 40CDi system boiler, UFH downstairs, 9 rads/towel warmers upstairs. Pressure normally around 1.5 bar, goes up to ~1.7 when system hot, so all normal stuff.

A week ago, pressure starts varying between 1 bar when cold and 3+ bar when hot. Also seems like boiler is short cycling more than normal, but could just be the weather has turned recently, with individual UFH zones calling for heat when CH and DHW are off, so low load and 40CDi is not great at modulation. Although I don’t remember it doing that before. Anyway, all rads bled, so seems like an EV problem. Gave the (external) EV valve a quick push and air comes out, so looks like it needs recharging rather than replacing.

I have boiler/heating insurance so rather than do this myself, I requested a call-out. I appreciate some on here have issues with those British Gas call-out style guys and I know charging an EV is standard stuff, but I didn’t want to start mucking around in case it was more complex and then the insurance would refuse to cover it if I’d had a go, etc.

So, guy comes out, nice guy, checks EV pressure, it’s virtually zero, so he charges it and leaves. Slightly concerned as he dropped the system pressure by draining through the PRV rather than doing it properly, so not a good start.

The next day, the problem is back, although between ~0.8 bar and ~2.5 bar, so slightly less variation. Again, possibly still EV issue where it’s not holding the charge.

Insurance offered to send someone else out. Different nice guy. Has a look and says the EV is still charged and it’s just air in system. Although he didn’t drop the pressure, so not sure how he knew EV was correctly pressurised. Says he bled 1 bar from the rads and 1.5 bar from the DHW AAV and quickly left saying to just keep an eye on it. Except he didn’t do what he said, as I was with him when he bled the rads and there was literally no air in them at all, let alone 1 bar! I wasn’t with him when he undid the AAV cap, so no idea if that was true. He was already running 3+ hours late and presumably wanted to get away without properly investigating which would have been a much bigger job.

Unsurprisingly, exactly the same issue after he left. I guess some insurance guys don’t really care if they don’t properly fix a breakdown, as long as they can say the property has heating that (kinda) works at the time they left.

Any thoughts on what this could be or any advice here please?

to check the ev, you have to turn off the flow and return, drain boiler,so you have no presure in boiler, leave drain open then check presure, top up to req presure .

to check the ev, you have to turn off the flow and return, drain boiler,so you have no presure in boiler, leave drain open then check presure, top up to req presure .

External vessel mate

Op sounds about right one bar of rise when warm how big / litre is the vessel ?

Agree draining through the prv is a no no

You can limit / range rate the cdi from the setting think from 12-40 kw

Thank you cjg and ShaunCorbs.

Yes, it’s an external EV but surely must still have no system pressure to get an accurate EV pressure. Second guy couldn’t have known it was pressurised correctly without draining, as cjg said.

Yes, I think you can get the 40CDi down to about 11 or 12kw, but there are UFH zones that demand much less than that. You've also got the UFH blending valve which I guess limits the flow and so the ABV kicks in, but this is getting past my knowledge level. Very possible the short cycling is unrelated to UFH load and related to the problem.

Vessel is ~30cm diameter x ~35cm height, so I guess around 15 litres. But I don’t think it’s underrated as pressure has been virtually constant for years. Just now getting 1.5 - 2 bars of rise when hot.

Presuming the vessel is connected in the right place, could it be blocked or restricted on the pipework to it?
Or was that checked?
Thanks! That definitely wasn't checked, so could be the case. Certainly seems odd the system pressure variation is the same with the vessel both charged and uncharged. I guess that involves dropping pressure to zero, removing EV, connecting hose/bucket to pipe, pushing pressure back up a bit and seeing if anything comes out?

Where’s the pressure guage ? Below the vessel

Bit of an update... Insurance send out third guy. This guy knows his stuff. Checks the EV pressure properly (by dropping system pressure first) - it's 2.5 bar! Yes, first guy had charged the EV to 2.5 bar. And second guy had lied when he said he'd checked it. So third guy drops EV pressure to just over 1 bar and tops up system to 1.5 bar. And now, touch wood, looks like system is stabilised to 1.5 bar and problem solved.

Anyone had any experience of super-over-pressurising EVs? Apart from the obvious danger, I'd guess over-pressurising could show exactly the same symptoms as having no pressure, as when over-pressurised, no water can get in?

If EV has no pre charge pressure, if charged to 1.5bar, might just rise to slightly < than 3.0bar when hot, if pre charged to 2.5 bar and even if "only" charged to 1.5 bar, then again sailing very close to 3.0 bar when hot and will possibly exceed it and lift the PRV.

If EV has no pre charge pressure, if charged to 1.5bar, might just rise to slightly < than 3.0bar when hot, if pre charged to 2.5 bar and even if "only" charged to 1.5 bar, then again sailing very close to 3.0 bar when hot and will possibly exceed it and lift the PRV.
Thanks John. Perfect. Much appreciated.

Reply to Boiler pressure (and short cycle) issue - not just EV in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock