Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Pressure and Cylinder Noise Issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Any help with this one would be much appreciated as I have no knowledge of plumbing.

I have a Potterton boiler and a Megaflo cylinder system. I have noticed that when the boiler fires up to heat the water that sometimes at the end of the cycle the boiler pressure drops on the gauge and it starts making a noise like air is escaping from somewhere, when the noise stops the pressure rises back up to 1. There is also sometimes a banging noise coming from the cylinder cupboard when the water heats up or when a tap is turned on.

Thanks in advance for any advisce.

You may have two issues here. megaflo needs to be serviced, air pocket may have depleted. Get a g3 accredited plumber. As for boiler that will be a separate issue but not easy to diagnose without seeing it tbh.

I agree that if the cylinder has not been serviced in the last 12 months that it needs to have that done. As for the air pocket in a Megaflow, I believe that is a user serviceable thing. They usually have step by step instructions on how to do it pasted to the side of the cylinder.

I know that without G3 certification you can't work on an unvented but as I say, I believe that regeneration of the air pocket for expansion is a user serviceable thing.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong or the rules surrounding that process has changed.

Thanks for the advice. Both the boiler and cylinder were serviced last October. I will attempt to replenish the air gap and see if this resolves the banging issues. In relation to the boiler issue, is there any user maintenance I can try for this or do I need to get an engineer out? Thanks.

Reply to Boiler Pressure and Cylinder Noise Issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock