• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Boiler overheating High Temps in the Water Underfloor Heating Installations area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Spot on and there's your problem

Your boiler will only modulate down to around 7kw and your biggest loop is 1.9kw

So your way under the min the boiler can cope with

You have a couple of options but it's not going to be cheap and involves ripping up some floor boards

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
This
Spot on and there's your problem

Your boiler will only modulate down to around 7kw and your biggest loop is 1.9kw

So your way under the min the boiler can cope with

You have a couple of options but it's not going to be cheap and involves ripping up some floor boards
Whats my options please?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Your easiest option is to put a rad somewhere on the main returns that can increase the capacity upto 7kw

Some more options eg low loss header or change the boiler for one that has a lower modulation rating

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
Your easiest option is to put a rad somewhere on the main returns that can increase the capacity upto 7kw

Some more options eg low loss header or change the boiler for one that has a lower modulation rating

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
This is excellent information. Will this definitely sort out the issue?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
This is excellent information. Will this definitely sort out the issue?
If you can get the lowest loop upto 7 kw yes

At the moment it can't get rid of the heat eg it's making 7kw and only requires 1.8 kw etc

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
If you can get the lowest loop upto 7 kw yes

At the moment it can't get rid of the heat eg it's making 7kw and only requires 1.8 kw etc
The problem is finding a competent plumber to explain this to. I have had so much conflicting information. What you have advised seems to be spot on! Is this why the boiler cycles on and off? Is this normal for underfloor heating? The rad option is probably going to be difficult as my boiler is in the kitchen and it is a tiled floor. Would you recommend a boiler replacement make and model?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
That's normal esp with the influx of fast training etc

Yes can't get rid of the heat quick enough

And unless everything is calculated eg sized right and loadings so they meet the min

I don't think your going to get one with a low enough modulation eg down to one or two kw

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
That's normal esp with the influx of fast training etc

Yes can't get rid of the heat quick enough

And unless everything is calculated eg sized right and loadings so they meet the min

I don't think your going to get one with a low enough modulation eg down to one or two kw
So my only option is to fit a radiator?

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
Yes to bump it upto 7kw

Or to live with it, which isn't the best option
You seem like an expert. Auto bypass, pipe thermostat, mixer valve all these potential repair options that have been advised by different users/ plumbers will any of these not do the job? What’s the worst that can happen if I left it as it is? Baxi have changed the thermostat and the issue of boiler overheating and switching off has not been apparent lately. Will I need to change thermostat every couple of years on the boiler?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Auto bypass will help,

Pipe thermostat won't do bugger all
Same with a blending valve

And will put undue wear on the boiler but shouldn't harm it that much

OP
M

Mossy007

Reaction score
Auto bypass will help,

Pipe thermostat won't do bugger all
Same with a blending valve

And will put undue wear on the boiler but shouldn't harm it that much
I shall look at the radiator option for now. Thankyou so much for all your informative advise. It’s truly really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes