Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler on bedroom party wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MojoLizard

Hi,

I'm not a plumber, so I hope it is ok to ask a question on here.

A week ago my attached neighbour's plumber replaced an old back boiler with a combi. He removed the hot/cold water tanks from the airing cupboard in the back bedroom and put the boiler in there, on the party wall opposite where we sleep. Or did sleep, the noise has been keeping us awake at night.

I don't blame my neighbour, I blame his plumber. My neighbour is 85 years old and not quite with it, he just went along with what the plumber told him and neither asked me. There is room for a boiler in their kitchen, the plumber chose the easiest option I guess with no regards to me.

I believe the plumber has followed all the regulations (except for his soakway which I don't care much about) and from googling I believe I can't do anything about the location of this boiler.

Apart from sound proofing or moving my bed to the other side of the room (I'd have to move built-in wardrobes first!), do I have any options?

Just so I know what type of guy this plumber is. Would you guys in this situation suggest to customer that the bedroom party wall is a good place for a boiler!? Or is this considered bad practice?

How many of you would have done the same?

Cheers,
Phil.

The airing cupboard for the old cylinder is the most used space when replacing a standard tank fed system for a combi boiler.

there are most of the pipes required for the new boiler in the airing cupboard so it makes sense most of the time both for the disruption to the customer and the price.

I don't know what you can do about the noise but maybe start by talking to your neighbour about the problem.

surely it's irrelevant that it's a boiler causing the noise. it would be the same issue if their kid's room was opposite your's and they bought him a guitar.

I certainly wouldnt give any consideration to the neighbours when locating a boiler, as long as it meets all regulations. Often the easiest is the cheapest.

Would you have paid the difference to have it somewhere else?

I wouldn't be stressing the poor old sod out about it. Not much you can do and it's fairly standard practice.

U ain't gonna be able to make him move it afraid its his property plus a/c is the easiest place to fit a combi when replacing a backboiler

I struggle to comprehend how I boiler can keep you awake at night? Surely breathing is just as noisy

I had a job my custard wheelchair bound, lovely bloke. Boiler fitted in airing cupboard , 6m from party wall. Couple next door came round to complain about boiler. We were working there late night in November. I just got down of a very cold roof so was a bit miffed. Went into house..... Couldn't hear a thing. They thought they had just heard it. I went back into custards house cut power cable with snips. Went into their house and they could still hear it. I said I don't think u can.... She got very shirty. I said its impossible here is the plug . Oh ..... Oh yes it's stopped now must have been running on? Basically they wanted him to move boiler to garage , 40m of pipework (f,r&g) H&c in utility. Asked why I couldn't fit it like theirs was ( tried not to snigger at his DIY install)

Sorry but enjoy being able to hear boiler. When he's dead and a young family move in your worlds probably going to collapse

The boiler flue edge should be 150mm away from the center of the party wall as it exits the building.

move your bed away fm the party wall, prehaps you were keeping him awake at night and he got jealous. Party walls can be a pain, you ought to try my neighbours, they have raves the police shut down about once a year, hopefully theyll grow up one day (the parents that is, the kids are quite quiet)

I don't think modern boilers are noisy at all, and I'd have no problem fitting one where you have described!

I'll bet you could hear the hot/cold water tanks that used to be in the airing cupboard filling as well.

Hi,

I'm not a plumber, so I hope it is ok to ask a question on here.

A week ago my attached neighbour's plumber replaced an old back boiler with a combi. He removed the hot/cold water tanks from the airing cupboard in the back bedroom and put the boiler in there, on the party wall opposite where we sleep. Or did sleep, the noise has been keeping us awake at night.

I don't blame my neighbour, I blame his plumber. My neighbour is 85 years old and not quite with it, he just went along with what the plumber told him and neither asked me. There is room for a boiler in their kitchen, the plumber chose the easiest option I guess with no regards to me.

I believe the plumber has followed all the regulations (except for his soakway which I don't care much about) and from googling I believe I can't do anything about the location of this boiler.

Apart from sound proofing or moving my bed to the other side of the room (I'd have to move built-in wardrobes first!), do I have any options?

Just so I know what type of guy this plumber is. Would you guys in this situation suggest to customer that the bedroom party wall is a good place for a boiler!? Or is this considered bad practice?

How many of you would have done the same?

Cheers,
Phil.

Got a similar issue with next doors hot tub out the back. All night long on off for a couple of seconds and back on again. Vety similar to the sound of a boiler running on and off.
Not gonna just be water they're sat in if it carries on.

if the boiler has a pre heat mode, ask for it to be turned off maybe. unless your neighbour has his heating on all night? it should not be making much of a noise anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler on bedroom party wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the attached pix and vids show my issue. I've got a small copper-looking pipe protruding from the wall above my rear tenement bedroom. It's dripping almost...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a month ago. The last couple of times it was used, it made a loud noise and acted like it didn't want to flush. I guessed that it might be time to...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
D
Hi folks. I have 2 pipes that run through my bedroom that are boxed in by skirtings. Both these pipes come from the boiler that sits in a cupboard in the kids bedroom and run roughly about 20 feet around the room and then go through the wall to the bathroom. Both are copper pipes. I have been...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock