Search the forum,

Discuss boiler mate 2 banging noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have a 20 year old Gledhill Boiler Mate 2 thermal store (BM2). It's been working with a Potterton 24kW Pro Max boiler for many years. It was recently inspected and all working well.

The Potterton boiler died and was replaced with a Vaillant 32kW open vent heat only boiler, and the whole system was given a chemical flush. The following problems occurred that evening and getting worse daily:

1. The new boiler went into fault mode f.83 (sensors detecting insufficient temperature increases, after the burner has been lit.)
2. The BM2 developed glugging, flushing, dumping, crashing and banging noises. These were intermittent, but appeared cyclical. They do not happen constantly, they happen mostly between midnight and 6am (notably when the outside temperature is at its lowest). This is definitely a new thing since the boiler was changed.

The boiler is then either reset manually, or after a while automatically. The thermal store is sometimes cold as a result, and I wonder if recovering from cold to normal storage temperatures triggers the problem. However, I've read many articles that indicate this is likely to be a blockage in the cold fill pipe which will need a new bypass installing.

I'm looking for thoughts on the following please:
1. If the cold fill pipe is blocked would the symptoms be apparent all the time, or would there be periods of normal operation (we're getting a mix of both).
2. If it is related to air in the system would it lead to these BM2 problems. If so, wouldn't that be apparent whenever the heating is on?
3. If it is a BM2 pump fault wouldn't that be apparent whenever the heating is on?
4. Other thoughts on why this might happen mostly at night but work better during the day.

Just for clarity, the boiler does go into f.83 frequently during the day. I just don't hear the BM2 noises as oftern.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer knowledgeable info. I'm am untrained homewoner just trying to figure it all out.

Reply to boiler mate 2 banging noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
Following on from my question about monitoring F & R temperatures, I needed a measuring device because the overheat stat. frequently trips and then needs to be reset. It normally happens when the boiler has switched off and is no doubt due to the hot water rising to the top of the boiler, but I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice/solutions... I have a boiler, a Valient EcoTec 28 pro, which was fitted a year ago. It makes a droning noise which resonates through the entire house. When it startes you hear this drone, which is loud enough to wake you if it kicks in during the...
Replies
Views
Hello, my hot water is set to come on at 5.30 am for 1 hour , for the last 2 days I have heard this noise as the boiler is in the airing cupboard next to my bedroom. It doesn't happen straight away.Today the hot water had been on 40 mins before starting, ysterday 55 mins. As far as I'm aware...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Heating System Have 2 houses where identical Heating systems installed (self & neighbour) In Dec both Baxi boilers were replaced with Viessmann Vittodens 30W due to ageing reliability issue. System is as per drawing Hot Water Draw off Thermal Store operates by the process that as DHW is drawn...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock