Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler keeps tripping main fuse in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a grant vortex combi and it keeps tripping the main fuse when the programmer calls for heating.
This has just started, it was working fine before.

Anybody got any thoughts

Or water inside the pump power connections be careful do it with the power isolated

When does it trip when the power is on or when there’s demand ?

Contributing as a spark in the boiler and wiring there could be many reasons for the "trip" - but as you suggest the fuse / MCB are tripping as well as the MCB then the likelyhood of a live - earth fault is possible.

Is there any water dripping from the boiler?
Valves?
When you say call for heating - are you really running the heating ATM?
Has anybody changed anything - like tried to fit a smart thermostat or programmer?
Have you done any DIY?

Tricky to give much more by the way of advice without seeing the installation first hand tbh

No water leaking.

Trips when demand for heating comes on from the programmer.

Nothing has changed, just started doing it today

Murdoch, what do you mean by ATM, if you mean at the moment the answer is no the heating is switched off, the domestic hot water is on and running fine, it happens when i switch the heating to on then it trips.

Thanks

Regards

You could do with an engineer to run some tests.
I personally would disconnect and make safe the live, neutral and earth to pump and then bring on at programmer again to rule in or out the pump.
If its not the pump then somewhere inside the control panel is the fault, providing of course you only have one heating zone and not multiple as mentioned above.
You really need an engineer to do all this for you.

No water leaking.

Trips when demand for heating comes on from the programmer.

Nothing has changed, just started doing it today

Murdoch, what do you mean by ATM, if you mean at the moment the answer is no the heating is switched off, the domestic hot water is on and running fine, it happens when i switch the heating to on then it trips.

Thanks

Regards

what type of controller do you have?

I have a grant vortex combi and it keeps tripping the main fuse when the programmer calls for heating.
This has just started, it was working fine before.

Anybody got any thoughts

What fuse is it tripping?

Is it the fuse in the fused connection unit or the MCB (or is it the RCD) in the consumer unit?

Success i think, i disconnected the pump and turned the programmer on and it didn't trip.
Will post again after i get a new one fitted.

Thanks for your help.
[automerge]1596718140[/automerge]
Problem solved, when we went to remove the pump the pump cable was jammed between the front of the flame box and flame box casing, when we took the front off the cable was fried.

Put a new cable in and it's all working now.

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler keeps tripping main fuse in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock