Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Help Required - Glow-worm Space Saver Mk2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave547

Hi Folks,

I've just moved into a new house with a Glow-worm Space Save Mk2 boiler. Unfortunately, I don't have a user manual, and can't find one online.

The heating & hot water both work fine, as does the timer control. (Control is a Randall 102) Looking at my gas meter, I'm using approx 3 cubic metres an hour, even with the control turned off. However, I seem to have hot water all the time, so I'm guessing the boiler is keeping my water hot all the time. I hate the idea of burning gas to keep water hot overnight and when I'm out through the day.

Is there a way to set it so the only time any hot water is produced (for heating or from the taps) is during the time I set it to come on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

boiler shouldnt run if the programmer is off you need to set the times with the blue and red tappets on the dial

That's what I thought. I even turned the timer off by its switch, and the wall switch to make sure it was all off.

There's a thermostat under the panel which I've set to minimum - would the thermostat determine the temp of the water coming out of the taps?

is it on constant on the programmer

Last edited:
The radiators are controllable, (only come on when I set them to) but the water seems to be on constant.

sorry 102 doesnt have a constant mode if all the power is off could be a boiler problem you need a gas safe engineer to check it out

3 cubic metres per hour?

That is around 32kw! Where is all the heat going if only doing
hot water? You need to get a registered gas fitter to look at
this as soon as possible.

Meanwhile it would be best to turn of the power to the appliance
for safety reasons.

seems like a random question do you have an electric immersion heater? is the gas meter dials turning when the boiler is off?

3 cubic metres per hour?

That is around 32kw! Where is all the heat going if only doing
hot water? You need to get a registered gas fitter to look at
this as soon as possible.

Meanwhile it would be best to turn of the power to the appliance
for safety reasons.

I may have misread, but will definitely get someone to look at it.

I have an electric immersion, but haven't had it on for any length of time yet. I can try turning the boiler off completely (pilot light as well) if that would help to eliminate anything?

could be the lug on the randel they are prone to breaking off and not switching of the timer.

if you have no other gas appliances turn off at the meter though would reccomending turning off at the meter anyway in case of a boiler problem

Just been googling gas meters, and I think I understood the reading wrong!

The reading went from 5345,184 to 5345,272 (where the last 3 numbers are in the red box)

I take it this means I've used 0.088 metres cubed?

Last edited by a moderator:

The reading went from 5345,184 to 5345,272 (where the last 3 numbers are in the red box)

is this over two minuites or 60?

Sorry, that's over a 3 hour period, so that's about 0.03 cubic metres per hour.

I took another reading 3 hours later, and the amount used was at the same rate.

is the burner lit on the boiler or just the pilot, when power supply is off and the thermostat is turned off at the boiler

Pilot light is lit, but the burner isn't. (When I switch it on at the control, I can hear the burner light up, and then go off when I turn it off)

The power supply I've switched off is the wall switch nest to the timer control. I'm assuming this only switches off the timer, rather than electricity going to the boiler?

Adjusting the thermostat hasn't had any effect on the pilot.

if the burner goes out completly when you switch off the thermostat on the boiler then thats ok relatively speaking if the burner is not lit at any other time apart from when the timer is calling for heat thats ok too the pilot is alwayson asits a permanent pilot

If this over 3 hrs then this will be the Permanent pilot light if it has one. Sounds to me you just need to get someone out to give you some reassurance and check the controls are ok. Where about's are you in the country maybe someone on here is near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Help Required - Glow-worm Space Saver Mk2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
The flue for a glow worm micron 30ff is apparently obsolete but there must be other flues that would fit it surely, it's just a standard 100mm horizontal flue right? I mean when a bg gas engineer tells you that you'll have to change the whole boiler as well because you can apparently no longer...
Replies
Views
Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to set up my hot water and central heating systems. Got a gas boiler with a pressure tank and a motor circulating the hot water. There are two wall-mounted time adjustment thingies—one for hot water and heating, and the other for the motor. Oh, and...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Glow Worm combi Ultracom 38cxi boiler fitted in our house, which has been running really well for the past 10 years. Recently we have had an issue with the shower and water taps suddenly running cold water when we have the taps set to hot, the water will keep going hot and cold...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock