Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler for 15mm gas pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everybody,

I need advice on a non-Combi boiler to run on 15mm gaspipe. The house has a 300 litres megaflo water cylinder with pump, and immersion heater (that can run in emergency without the boiler on), and 16 radiators in the house across two floors. The cooking hob is induction.

The current boiler (Vaillant Ecomax pro 28e) has a leaking heat exchanger after 14 years of use and the gas engineer has capped the gas and recommended an upgrade.

The house had new gaspipes installed 14 years ago, and from I can see, the pipes entering the boiler are 15mm pipes. Gas meter is approximately 7 metres away from the boiler.

Installing 22mm pipes is not an option, hence was looking for recommendations on the boiler replacement in >28 kW range?

Thanks

It’s not just about stating what existing appliances are installed, it’s about (without giving too much away as gas advice) sizing the installation correctly, you could have 20 elbows fitted for all we know, and there are other factors to consider. Nobody here is on site, not to mention it would be against forum rules and therefore won’t be able to suggest a suitable boiler. Talk this through with a gas safe registered installer.

1. If its 15 mm from the meter, it is under sized for the 28 kW boiler.
2. However, it may only be the last piece of pipe to the boiler which is 15 mm, the rest could be a different size.
3. Unfortunately there is no way of telling what the gas carrying capacity is without inspecting the run from meter to appliance(s).

Why >28 kW?

One way to check is to measure the size of each radiator and determine the heat output of each radiator by reference to the maker’s specification or product information for similar radiators.

To the total heat output of the radiators add an allowance for hot water heating, say 3 kW or whatever you like. This gives an indication of the required boiler heat output.

Specifying a boiler with less heat output increases the likelihood that the existing gas pipe will be adequate.

Thank you all for your comments. That was useful. I agree >28 kW would be unnecessary and I would probably need 26-28kW dependent on the gas supply at the meter. Ill get this checked. Thanks

Reply to Boiler for 15mm gas pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, thanks for adding me. My Veissmann v50 combi gas boiler has recently started to supply only lukewarm water to the bathroom above it. This is about 3 metres away, so quite a short pipe run. It supplies hot water fine to the kitchen taps, which are about 1 metre away. It also supplies very...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock