Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Flue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys

My Baxi Duo Tec Boiler as developed a condensate leak where the flue pipe connects into the flue elbow.

I suspect the seal as gone in the elbow and so I want to replace it.

Having looked on top of the boiler casing, where the elbow connects to the boiler adaptor there are two, for want of a better term plastic wing nuts/bolts.

Are these to lock the elbow to the adaptor and how are they undone, is it simply a case of turning them anticlockwise.
Iv'e attached two photos if it any help.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Clive

Flue Adaptor.jpg

Flue Bend 2.JPG

Please don’t try and do this yourself.
Get someone gas safe to do it properly and then test the boiler.

Hi Guys

Thank you for taking the time to reply about the two-winged screws, be the answer not quite what I was expecting.

The boiler was installed by a gas fitter, Corgi Registered listed as being able to work on boilers back in 2009 and believe it or not the reason the condensate was leaking is because the flue pipe was nearly out of the elbow connection.

The engagement of the pipe into the socket of the elbow should be 50mm, the pipe was plastered into the wall on its way through the brickwork to outside.

I wont type what I’m thinking, but how on earth does a pipe come out of a 50mm deep socket and no its not at ground level so it can’t have been tampered with.

For anyone else that comes across this post, the two-winged screws are not for clamping the elbow into the boiler collar.

They can be removed depending on if you are doing a flue gas analysis or measuring the purity of the air the boiler is drawing.

As already mentioned the fact that it is or was leaking means you should get someone qualified a) to fix it and b) to test whether it is completely safe to continue to use. We can't and won't issue advice that encourages a DIY repair on an appliance simply because we are buggered if you bugger it up.

Who knows why your flue is nearly out of it's socket after 11 years but a service would've pulled up that fault. Assuming you haven't had it serviced in all that time you will not garner any sympathy here over a poor or unsafe installation nor is it an excuse to not have it repaired by somebody qualified.

My Baxi Duo Tec Boiler as developed a condensate leak where the flue pipe connects into the flue elbow.
Looking at the discolouration on the wall it's probably been pumping flue gas into the room for quite a while. Have any of the occupants been feeling unwell recently? If so, it could be carbon monoxide poisoning and medical advice needs to be sought.

This sort of fault is a killer. Stop using the boiler until it is is fixed by a qualified engineer.

It shouldn't have happened or even been possible with correct installation but that certainly doesn't mean that you should do the job!
There is nothing magical about what we do but then neither is checking the lines on a parachute but would you check your own to save a few quid?

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments, I’ve decided I’ll get the boiler serviced along with a gas fire and cooker hob.

I know I could find out on the internet, but does anyone know what I should expect to be covered in the service of the three above items and will I get any kind of check off list to say what’s been done.

The nearest example of what I mean is, when I had the electrics checked in my house, I received a bill together with a list of things which had been done ie. all the earth fault loop impendence measurements.

If the mcb’s and rcd’s were working correctly including how long it took for them to trip out under test ie. they should be within a specified time.

When testing the boiler, I assume parts are removed, are such things as seals automatically replaced with new ones as a matter of course ie the DHW plate heat exchanger seals and the like assuming it gets removed during a service?

There's no fixed requirement for paperwork but as a minimum the engineer should check the combustion performance of the boiler (inc check on combustion air), check gas pressures and clean out the condense drain.
Some boilers require primary heat exchanger is flushed but most don't.
For fire I would expect them to check the builders opening for debury, clean the coals/burner and pilot assembly before checking draught with smoke and visually inspecting chimney.
For hob I would check the gas connections are correct, the burners aren't damaged and that it works as expected.
Finished off with a gas tightness test on whole system.
I personally don't do gas rate on a service or check inhibitor concentration but some may.
Draining and replacing inhibitor, system balancing and full system operational checks are extras for me if required/requested.

Reply to Boiler Flue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock