Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler flue issue, advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

storckboy

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice. Approx 4 years ago I had my boiler (combi) replaced. The fitter put the new one in exactly the same place as the old one. It is situated in my loft and the flue exits through the gable end.
My house is a staggered terrace and so the flue overhangs my neighbours roof. at the time i asked his permission for the fitter to go onto his roof to fit the flue and my neighbour agreed and said no problem.
Approx 6 months ago my neighbour submitted plans which included joing onto and cutting into parts of our house. Although we didn't specifically object we requested a party wall agreement so that any change in status would be recorded on the deeds and no legal matters would arise. My neighbour reacted badly to this and has now demanded that the flue be moved as it is damaging his roof. We gave them our insurance details and they tried to claim but were told that there was no damage to the roof, it just needed cleaning. (they have told us this!) Now they are threatening to get a solicitor involved to force us to move it. I am certain that this is just tit for tat as we questioned their extension, however we are trying to sell our property at the moment and are worried about any legal disputes arising. Most people seem to be of the opinion that they are just trying it on and we should ignore them, however it would be good to hear from you guys.
Thanks.

If they have asked you to move it then you must move it as it passes on to their boundary line. It shouldn't of been done like that and should of terminated through the roof. As the boiler is not very old the parts should still be available, get a gas safe fitter to put it through the roof. It will cost about £300 and the problem is gone.

sounds like its to close or even over the boundary line, which is against building regulations. Although it has been there for some time without compliant. You could argue that point to local building control but if you want to just sort it out now, get a vertical flue fitted to it, making sure it sits 300mm from the boundary line.

If it sits to close to where they plan to put a window on there later building work then that would be a shame, as they would have to pay to have it moved or fit an unopenable window, what a shame.

Last edited:
You could try an appease them by fitting a plume kit to redirect any fumes further away from their roof... sounds like they are being douchbags but such is life.
What are the boundary lines like vertically? surely they don't go up miles? :p

You could try an appease them by fitting a plume kit to redirect any fumes further away from their roof... sounds like they are being douchbags but such is life.
What are the boundary lines like vertically? surely they don't go up miles? :p

I think the phrase "overhangs their roof" might be a salient point of the argument here......

Just do as has been said first as last
Get a GSR fitter to instal a vertical flue kit,it'll save you any headaches later on (and possibly a sale) and let the new owners worry about your neighbour
The few hundred quid or so it will cost will be less than a couple of solicitors letters going back and for

If you plan to move locally and would therefore be a potential customer to your original installer get them back and see if you can get it done at a discounted price, (technically you should get it done free as it wasn't compliant at the time, but that ain't gonna happen now) but perhaps even for the cost of material to you, and the cost of labour to him, this will only work if you "might" use him for all the work in your new house, whether you do or not is up to you once you move, as he can't work to the regs I know what I would do haha

If the flue isn't within your boundary it will quite likely get picked up in the buyers survey and you will face having to correct it or reduce the house sale price to compensate.
At the worst you could loose the sale.

If the potential buyer gets wind of the dispute, which you are now supposed to declare when the prospective buyer asks the question, you could again loose the sale.

Get a GSR in and get the flue fitted correctly.

And it would be madness nowdays NOT to demand a Party wall agreement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler flue issue, advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock