Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler fails to come on at night…. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Boiler is a Fagor FEB- 20E UK ECOPLUS in a holiday home (static caravan).

It has had a new thermostat fitted. We set it at 22c and switch the dial on the boiler to Winter, for the radiators. We do not use the timer as it should come on when it goes below set temperature.

The problem is.

It fails to come on at night time. You can hear it turn on, but it fails to ignite. It will do this a few times, then stop.

Often, it does not come on at all.

Very occasionally, when it does actually come on, it only stays on for under one minute before stopping.

It appears to work in the daytime, but I can’t be absolutely sure, as we are out.

I realise it sounds odd that it won’t come on at nighttime, but it’s a real problem, as at this time of year it gets very cold at night so we can’t use our holiday home with the boiler like this.

We have been told that it has been assessed by a plumber in the daytime who said it works, but it does not work at all at night.

Any ideas, solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

To continue…..
A plumber has now replaced a fan and claimed the boiler was working now. He returned several times in the day to check it, including at 7.30pm and said it was working properly.
We stayed in the van and the boiler was working, but at 10.45pm, as the room temperature dropped, we’ve had the same problem as always, the boiler wouldn’t ignite again, just a green light and the noise of it failing to ignite. When we tapped the outer casing it ignited, but only for a couple of minutes. This went on the entire night, as usual, with the room temperatures now down to below 15c. At 9am the next morning, the heating was at full belt, having come on all on its own.
Nobody understands why it won’t ignite at night time, it’s bizarre to say the least. We can’t stay there anymore as it’s too cold at night. We are totally new to caravans and have only had this van since the beginning of April.
To recap, it’s had a new thermostat and a new fan replacement. Below are photos of how the plumber left it, which we haven’t changed. The thermostat photo didn’t turn out, but it’s just a small round dial with the degrees around it, set at 22c. My husband took videos of the boiler malfunctioning, so I might be able to retrieve a thermostat pic from that.

Attachments

• 93749C64-9E03-49DF-8D86-7F395D20CB09.jpeg
    93749C64-9E03-49DF-8D86-7F395D20CB09.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 6F9EDB70-EF2A-49B8-A28B-366F22690D58.jpeg
    6F9EDB70-EF2A-49B8-A28B-366F22690D58.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 92198A02-CB48-41D5-B012-1CA1B61DD268.jpeg
    92198A02-CB48-41D5-B012-1CA1B61DD268.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 20
Try turning the heating thermostat on the boiler down to 3/4

Try turning the heating thermostat on the boiler down to 3/4
We aren’t there now, we left as it was too cold to stay another night. I can give that a try this Saturday, but what will that do by turning the thermostat down to 3 or 4c? I’ve been saying it might be a faulty clock, but we really don’t know.
Also, we don’t know what those settings mean on the left hand dial on the boiler.

Just adjust the left hand dial back a bit eg 3 o clock / pointing at the o, that controls the heating water temperature

Just adjust the left hand dial back a bit eg 3 o clock / pointing at the o, that controls the heating water temperature
I’m not quite clear on what you mean, sorry. On the left dial on the boiler, turn that little switch within it to the middle position (3 o clock) ?
Or, turn it towards that little clock icon that says 3:0 clock, just above the 0?
We’ve never seen clocks like these before, so apologies for my ignorance.

Personally I’d say forget the thermostat and start looking elsewhere. You’ll need a RGI for it though. Sounds more like a sticky flow switch or a dodgy thermistor.
You say you can hear it start the ignition process which kinda says that it’s receiving the signal ( thermostat ) to fire but is failing. The three lights on the fascia or your fault indicators. It will be a sequence I.e one red one second green flashes on off etc:

You’ll need the manual to work out what it’s failing on.

Personally I’d say forget the thermostat and start looking elsewhere. You’ll need a RGI for it though. Sounds more like a sticky flow switch or a dodgy thermistor.
You say you can hear it start the ignition process which kinda says that it’s receiving the signal ( thermostat ) to fire but is failing. The three lights on the fascia or your fault indicators. It will be a sequence I.e one red one second green flashes on off etc:

Many thanks for your help. Is it worth replacing the entire boiler or could this one be fixed? Also, would it have to be the same make of boiler? Are these boilers expensive?

Finally, I found this user manual, is this the right one?

Apologies for the questions, but that’s it after this. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Yes, I agree (now you’ve described their thermostat), forget the room thermostat. If you’re able to “tap” the boiler, and it springs into life, then I’d suggest a loose wire.

I’m not quite clear on what you mean, sorry. On the left dial on the boiler, turn that little switch within it to the middle position (3 o clock) ?
Or, turn it towards that little clock icon that says 3:0 clock, just above the 0?

Attachments

• 717B44CE-F844-4596-A1F2-2B209F14AC25.jpeg
    717B44CE-F844-4596-A1F2-2B209F14AC25.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 8

Thanks for this info re sticky flow switch and the thermistor. We’ll relay that to the caravan sellers for their plumbers to consider.

Got it and partly understand the basic reason. We can give this a try ourselves this Saturday, thanks so much.
Got it and partly understand the basic reason. We can give this a try ourselves this Saturday, thanks so much.

If anyone has any more ideas or obvious next steps, please let me know. As it is, thank you all very much for your time and help. I was becoming uncomfortable telling the vendors and insisting the heating wouldn’t work at nighttime. 🙄
So, with the video, the User Manual, loose connection, sticky flow switch, thermistor and adjusting the heating thermostat down to 3. 0 clock that gives a few good leads.
Thank all, much appreciated.

Reply to Boiler fails to come on at night…. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock