Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler dhw flow adjustment in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys. New here.

Basically I bought this house 2 yrs ago. Back when I bought it I took over an existing plan with British gas for my boiler servicing.

Upon first service, I asked about hot water as if you turned the bath tap on more than 1/4 turn it ran like warm at best.

He said he adjusted the flow down and it worked better. He seemed to adjust a valve in the boiler or below it, couldn't quite see. He checked with a measuring device and timed it and all was well.

Roll on 2yrs ish, I've been sorting issues around the house. Including banging pipes, turns out I had 8bar incoming from the street.

So I've fitted a prv after the stopcock set at 3bar. Loads better, no banging pipes when taps are shut or washer fills etc.

However this seems to have made the hot water tap run slow and it's not red hot either. Its hot but you can bare to keep your hand under it and it's set on 65c according to boiler.

I don't know if the boiler works harder if the flow is faster or not. But I would like to increase the flow speed.

Currently its like when the tap is on fully open, it's comparable to 1/4 open previously. If that makes sense.

The boiler is a worcester greenstar 26i if I recall correctly. Any advice where the flow adjustment is? Is it an actual adjustment for the dhw or did he just close the valve letting the cold feed into the boiler?

Thanks for the help
[automerge]1583083748[/automerge]
I tested hot water at kitchen sink and bath and it's approx 14secs a litre. So 4.5 litre per min? That's fully open tap and no other taps or water usage going on.

Last edited:
Adjusting the flow rate through the DHW PEX is possible by a couple of ways. I suspect hes just closed the inlet valve slight, although he could have done it inside the boiler. You need to get a GSR out, you cant do this yourself

Think that boiler is only 10 litres per minute so your flogging a dead horse.

See it all the time with combi swaps on the bath tap. So much so I fit a valve on the bath hot to reduce how much water it can run.

Think that boiler is only 10 litres per minute so your flogging a dead horse.

See it all the time with combi swaps on the bath tap. So much so I fit a valve on the bath hot to reduce how much water it can run.

10 is double the 4.5 I am getting though?

Plus it was running faster when the mains pressure was 8bar, so knocking it down to 3bar must have made some difference.

I'll get it checked when it's next serviced.

Cheers

Hi guys. New here.

Basically I bought this house 2 yrs ago. Back when I bought it I took over an existing plan with British gas for my boiler servicing.

Upon first service, I asked about hot water as if you turned the bath tap on more than 1/4 turn it ran like warm at best.

He said he adjusted the flow down and it worked better. He seemed to adjust a valve in the boiler or below it, couldn't quite see. He checked with a measuring device and timed it and all was well.

Roll on 2yrs ish, I've been sorting issues around the house. Including banging pipes, turns out I had 8bar incoming from the street.

So I've fitted a prv after the stopcock set at 3bar. Loads better, no banging pipes when taps are shut or washer fills etc.

However this seems to have made the hot water tap run slow and it's not red hot either. Its hot but you can bare to keep your hand under it and it's set on 65c according to boiler.

I don't know if the boiler works harder if the flow is faster or not. But I would like to increase the flow speed.

Currently its like when the tap is on fully open, it's comparable to 1/4 open previously. If that makes sense.

The boiler is a worcester greenstar 26i if I recall correctly. Any advice where the flow adjustment is? Is it an actual adjustment for the dhw or did he just close the valve letting the cold feed into the boiler?

Thanks for the help
[automerge]1583083748[/automerge]
I tested hot water at kitchen sink and bath and it's approx 14secs a litre. So 4.5 litre per min? That's fully open tap and no other taps or water usage going on.

That boiler should supply ~ 6.8 LPM at 65C or ~ 10.5 LPM at 45C (from cold at 10C) so it should have no problem in supplying hot water at 4.5 LPM, its possible I suppose but unlikely that the flow switch (probably set to ~ 3 LPM minimum flow) is faulty and starting/stopping the burner but you should be able to hear this if you stand near the boiler.
Based on your flow of 4.5 LPM @ 3 bar would indicate that your plumber had adjusted it to give ~ 7.5 LPM at the original pressure of 8bar.
This reduced pressure is also the reason why you have to open the tap fully now vs 1/4 turn previously.
Possibly also fault may be with the boiler heat exchanger so as advised above, you will have to get someone qualified to look at it.

That boiler should supply ~ 6.8 LPM at 65C or ~ 10.5 LPM at 45C (from cold at 10C) so it should have no problem in supplying hot water at 4.5 LPM, its possible I suppose but unlikely that the flow switch (probably set to ~ 3 LPM minimum flow) is faulty and starting/stopping the burner but you should be able to hear this if you stand near the boiler.
Based on your flow of 4.5 LPM @ 3 bar would indicate that your plumber had adjusted it to give ~ 7.5 LPM at the original pressure of 8bar.
This reduced pressure is also the reason why you have to open the tap fully now vs 1/4 turn previously.
Possibly also fault may be with the boiler heat exchanger so as advised above, you will have to get someone qualified to look at it.

Thank you for that reply.

It will be due service soon so will get them to double check it all.

Reply to Boiler dhw flow adjustment in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently had an eco tec plus 836 combi installed as part of an oil to gas conversion. One thing I can’t work out is why the bathroom sink hot water flow is 12-13L per minute with at 44c and even hotter. However the nearby bath freestanding tap is 8-9L per minute at this temp. Both taps...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock