Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler cycling on and off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tats

Hi all,

I recently had to condemn an old baxi boiler due to CO leaking into the kitchen. it was a system boiler on a C plan. Has 22 mm pipe to about a meter after the motorised valve and reduced down to 8mm microbore to feed the rads. The previous electrics were an absolute nightmare. The homeowner was an electrician by trade (retired now) And it seems that he passed time wiring everything he could into one timer which he was using as a junction box.

I got a Worcester green star 15 ri to replace the old one and bought the Honeywell s plan smart fit. The installation went fine with minimal snags. I drained down and cleaned out the pipes, installed two new motorised valves making it an s plan set up. The new electrics went in fine and now make sense!
The problem i have now is The boiler fires up for a few minutes then turns off, and back on again a few minutes later on both central heating and hot water. This repeats until the programmer is switched off. Also 3 out of 7 radiators are not working. One has never worked according to the homeowner however the other two did. I have bleed all the air out of everything I possibly can. One of the rads has heat in the pipe but it isn't going Into the actual radiator. The valve opens and closes fine. I've took it off and checked its insides and it works as if should so I can't understand why the rad isn't heating.
i have drained down the system multiple times, took the rads off the wall and cleaned them individually removing massive amounts off gunk from each one but still it's not playing ball! I realised that I misread the instructions and never installed an automatic bypass. A Y plan doesn't need one but S plan does. This will be fixed on my next visit! Could the lack of bypass be causing it to constantly cycle off and on?
The other thing I thought it could be is the flow and return are reversed. I checked to see what heats first from everything being cold. The return pipe by the cylinder seems to get a bit of heat before anything else but then my pipe leading to the pump etc gets boiling as it should so Im really not sure!

any ideas what else I could be looking at here? Blocked pipe work? Reversed flow and return? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Its sounds like one of my past nightmares!

8mm pipe! sounds like you have an air lock, is the system open vent or sealed?

It's breaking me!
It's open vent. I've done everything I can think of to get air out of There. Its hiding well and refusing to budge!

Ok, mine was an open vent with 8mm.

I was on it for about 1 1/2 days, i did crack it in the end.

I forced the air out using mains pressure cold water.

Worked a treat!

circulation problems from air locks or blockages at a guess, take off rads that dont work and open each valves and see what flow rate you have. yo can atttach a pump and try and push the air out, if you push a blockage it may move to another part of the system.

8mm is a pain in the rear, id consider taking the rads outside and flushing on a hose pipe, maybe even running a strong acid cleaner through if you can get circualtion around the system. protect the boiler of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler cycling on and off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a Glowworm Ultimate 35C boiler. It shuts off at its max temp of 60C when heating radiators and the pump carries on running pumping heat round system but it seems to let temperature drop at least 30 degrees before burner comes back in by which time radiator temperature has dropped...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
P
I am having a new system boiler to replace very old cast iron open vented jobbie. heating engineer has offered an S plan system and a Main eco compact. My understanding is that S plan will return water at too high a temperature for boiler to run efficiently and stops weather compensation.
Replies
Views
Podengo
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock