Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler cuts out before hot water temp satisfied. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 112076

Hi all,

My problem is that my oil-fired boiler cuts out before the hot water has reached the thermostat temperature set on the hot water cylinder. At best I get luke-warm water.

I have a vented system and the heating side of the system looks like it is working fine. However, with the boiler set to push out 70 degrees C and the thermostat on the hot water cylinder set at 65 degrees C the boiler shuts down before the hot water has even reached a luke warm level. The immersion heater is doing the job at the moment.

At first, of course, I suspected the thermostat on the hot water cylinder but the Danfos heating/hot water controller is demanding heat and the hot water zone valve is open ('B' position) so I guess that the thermostat is not at fault(?).

Any ideas?

Jack

Are you sure you're constantly getting a feed from programmer, through cylinder stat and motorized valve and to boiler? You need to determine if the boiler is cycling on and off through boiler stat (which maybe at fault) or you're losing a feed somewhere.

AS above, oil boilers will always cycle on/off, particularly when on HW only, mine, with a cold cylinder (& 20 kw boiler) will cycle, ON ~ 2 mins...OFF ~ 4 mins & when cylinder temp is nearing its 63C SP, ON ~ 2/3 mins..OFF ~8/10 mins so with a lukewarm cylinder the off time should be only 3 to 5 mins if boiler burner is still enabled.
I wonder if the cylinder temp is increasing with both HW&CH on together?.

Are you sure you're constantly getting a feed from programmer, through cylinder stat and motorized valve and to boiler? You need to determine if the boiler is cycling on and off through boiler stat (which maybe at fault) or you're losing a feed somewhere.

Thanks for your reply...on Christmas day!!

Yes, I have a constant signal from the controller and the hot water valve is 'open' in response to that signal. I'm not sure about the boiler stat but the heating is working fine so I don't think that that is faulty.
[automerge]1577378813[/automerge]
AS above, oil boilers will always cycle on/off, particularly when on HW only, mine, with a cold cylinder (& 20 kw boiler) will cycle, ON ~ 2 mins...OFF ~ 4 mins & when cylinder temp is nearing its 63C SP, ON ~ 2/3 mins..OFF ~8/10 mins so with a lukewarm cylinder the off time should be only 3 to 5 mins if boiler burner is still enabled.
I wonder if the cylinder temp is increasing with both HW&CH on together?.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

If only the hot water is demanding heat then the boiler fires, runs for a while (the hot water cylinder gets luke warm) then shuts down. It then doesn't come back on for at least thirty minutes; it's not cycling at all.
If both hot water and heating are demanding heat then the boiler does cycle (I assume with the heating loop return temperature) and the hot water still only gets luke warm.
[automerge]1577378866[/automerge]
Another thing is what is your water area like? If this has been slowly getting worse you could have a scaled up cylinder if in a hard area

Soft as a baby's bottom!
[automerge]1577381748[/automerge]
I think I might have found it...could this be as simple as an air lock?

There's an automatic air bleed on the inlet to the hot water cylinder (this is the highest point of the whole system as it is in a bungalow). Like this one...

I haven't had the place long and I've just found the air bleed fully screwed down. When I unscrewed it air rushed out for about ten seconds then water started coming out.
I'm guessing that the water coming out bit is not right and that it's broken. I also guess that the previous owner screwed it down to prevent it leaking and therefore inadvertently caused the air lock.

Since then I have bled it a few more times (it always leaks after the air has gone) and now I have hot water again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes if there was an airlock flow would be completely restricted or partially, only allowing so much heated water through cylinder coil resulting in a less than desired temperature. Make sure the system is fully bled and all points tightened up and report back in 24 hours, you might be lucky and have found the problem.

Update:
The air lock seems to haev been the problem. The hot water has been behaving itself. Thanks for all your replies.

P.S.
I have one of these drain cocks that is weeping (might be the cause of the air in the system) and I assume that the seal has perrished.

Can I just buy a new one and swap the plunger/screw-in bit to save having the drain the entire system and then get involved with soldering? I was hoping i might be able to screw it all the way out and just screw in the new piece?

Reply to Boiler cuts out before hot water temp satisfied. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock