Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

windoz

Hi,

I don't know if you could advise me best in regards to the following situation.

I had leak on the boiler but could not see where this was coming from. Eventually I got a plumber in to have a look. They diagnosed that the condensate pipe has become blocked between the boiler on the landing to where it is terminating externally into the drain. He also mentioned that the pipe is a solvent weld pipe which simply cannot be taken apart, inspected to clear the blockage and then reinstalled. His recommendation is the renew the pipe entirely from the boiler through the landing floor to externally where it is terminating. His price is £110+VAT.

I did ask if he could somehow flush the condensate pipe, his advice is it's easier to replace the blocked pipe.

Is there anyway I can get this blockage cleared myself or do I need to go ahead and replace the pipe. (I did check the prices on the pipes etc, and my gut feeling is that he is charging me abit too much!! the material cost is no more than £25..however his price is £132 inc VAT)

I do have home emergency, but I didn't call them out as they always state that I need to know 100% where the issue is, hence calling for a plumber first. Should I call them out to resolve the issue now that I know what the issue is.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Reasonable price is that what you have been quoted its also to cover the diagnosis aswell

You need to check the overall length of the pipe run and the pipe size, external pipe needs to be a min size, to prevent freezeing it is possible to cut out any blockage and just renew that section of pipe

To be fair to the man he has already spent time calling to your house , diagnosed the problem and will spend another possibly three hours replacing the pipe . For his overall time , price of materials , diesel etc - this is a more than fair price .

i concur that price is cheap £25.00 (possibly more as external part needs to be larger waste pipe) for materials, 2 site visits a trip to the suppliers for mmaterials, job will posibbly take a couple of hours.
labour alone should be about £140.00

Hi,

I don't know if you could advise me best in regards to the following situation.

My gut feeling is that he is charging me abit too much!! the material cost is no more than £25..however his price is £132 inc VAT)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

You have to forget the vat as he has no option on that does he, then remember it`s two visits to you, one visit and time to collect the materials, all the running costs of the van, cost of tools which wear out or break, renewable costs of being safe to do the work, public liability insurance costs, income tax and the list goes on I`m afraid, at the end of the day he will not make a huge profit out of it.

No reason it can't be taken apart... Only need a few cheapo couplers where cut etc...

Normally blocks up where the pipe terminates into the drain etc, if it was completely blocked the boiler would have locked out... Sounds like a tricky run, but for 130 quid for a diagnosis& repair is very reasonable!

I really appreciate the advice given. I've given the plumber the go ahead for this job to be done. Thank you to everyone!! (I'm not experienced when it comes to plumbing stuff or prices) I really appreciate the advice given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock