Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler condemned by British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 84970

British Gas has condemned our boiler as the heat exchanger is leaking onto the circuit board.

We currently pay boiler care cover and thought that this would be covered, but the engineer who was actually a nice bloke said look i'll need to call my boss to see if we can cover this.

Couple of minutes later he said sorry my boss said its not covered as we were previously advised to do a powerflush.

He said he could fit the parts but it would cost us £400 or get British Gas to call us with a quote for a new boiler, which i said no just leave it.

When the guy was putting it back together I said, so if i had got the flush would the parts be replaced and he said no due to the parts that had already been fitted previously.

Would this cause the exchanger to leak and can the engineer determine thats why it failed even without taking the exchanger out ?

I know Im not going to get anywhere with this and just feeling frustrated as it will be a couple of months before i could get money together for a new boiler which i know i need

Thanks

I've been out to one today bg wouldn't do the repair as the system needs a power flush

Turn out it was a leaky filling loop

Best get a second opinion

Couple of minutes later he said sorry my boss said its not covered as we were previously advised to do a powerflush.

So you were advised, not warned that if you didn't have it done the boiler would fail or the Cover would be voided?

The design of these boilers was always stupid , who locates a lecky unit under the water valve
It’s stupid , funny tho I know the designer of this boiler he is my friend hey ho

So you were advised, not warned that if you didn't have it done the boiler would fail or the Cover would be voided?

The engineer said that It could do with a flush.
NOW that ive read their terms and conditions it says they can refuse to honor a claim based on that.

The water from the radiators were clear when they were bled. If it was needing a flush would the water be dirty?

The engineer said that It could do with a flush.
NOW that ive read their terms and conditions it says they can refuse to honor a claim based on that.

The water from the radiators were clear when they were bled. If it was needing a flush would the water be dirty?
All the dirt is sat at the bottom of the radiators and the edge of the pipework.the water at the top is normally clear or a little dark.

Simply do your rads heat evenly eg no cold spots in the middle bottom ?

Simply do your rads heat evenly eg no cold spots in the middle bottom ?
No the radiators were nice and consistent with heat. Ive taken off one of the radiators and drained it and also used a big magnet (We use for magnet fishing :) ) to see if i can drag any rust etc from the bottom of the radiator and put a hammer drill on it like the guys do when flushing it out and there doesnt look like much. Its not clear as tap water but more a light brown. I suppose though it might be in the boiler though.

Never mind gives me an excuse to cuddle the wife tonight, although It seems to be my fault anyway !!

Sounds like it doesn't need a flush

You will get the water dirty

If your handy and each rad has a drain off

Manually flush them open the drain off with a hose pipe out side into drain etc

Then re add inhb

Without a doubt get a second opinion. I wouldn’t take BG’s word,with their incentives for staff who generate leads, upgrades and boiler sales or disciplinaries for those who don’t.

Sounds like you were never covered

Try a second opinion
Try a manufacturer one off repair - usually around £300 and get rid of the cover
Get a new boiler from an Independant installer with a nice long warranty

British gas engineers are salesmen, the good engineers are all wanting to leave and are doing as they are sick of being pressured to sell.

Hi guys
Many thanks for all the replies and enjoyed reading some of the banter

New boiler is going in on a few weeks so just going to grin and bare it till then. Bought some heaters so not sitting in the cold but it’s the bathing that’s a nightmare especially fur the kids

Thanks

Got a local company to fit it.
They have advised on fitting Worcester Greenstar 34CDi

cdi classics are good boilers but a bit on the large side

Reply to Boiler condemned by British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock