Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler condemned a week after gas safety check didnt pick up any faults, what should i do? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys

So basically what happened is an engineer came out to my mums a week ago to do her annual gas safety check, shes a disabled bed bound OAP so on these occassions i have to go to the property to let the engineer in to do the job, she lives in a council property in London. So guy turns up does the check and says there is no problems other than the expansion vessle is leaking and will need to be changed which we had been told was an issue a few weeks earlier as the boiler kept dropping pressure and all other causes had been looked at.

Anyway a week after the first engineer comes i get a call to say another engineer will be coming to replace the expansion vessle, i usally stay at the property until they finish but on this occassion i had to leave because of a job i had on so let the engineer in and went, he called me about an hour later to say he has had to shut the boiler down and turn off the gas supply as the boiler is Immediately dangerous, he went on to say when he went to take the cover off the boiler to replace the expansion vessle he had noticed that the Flu had corroded away and was leaking into the property and that the engineer who came the previous week should have seen it and done the same and he should be reported.

My question is what should i do about the first engineer who came and done the safety certificate? all i keep thinking is if the expansion vessle didnt need changing he would have passed the boiler and my mum would have been stuck in that house with a flu leaking into the house for the next year, bare in mind she is house bound so i dont think the outcome would have been a good one.

What would you guys do as far as reporting the engineer goes?

Presumably both engineers work for the same company, a Council contractor?
Or do they work directly for the Council?

Firstly I be more concerned about getting the boiler replaced by the Council immediately.
Ring them and explain your Mothers condition as they may not be aware and ask when the boiler is to be replaced.
Have they already provided temporary heating and a source for hot water if the boiler is a combi?

As it's a Council property your first point for complaint re the boiler condition is with them.

Presumably both engineers work for the same company, a Council contractor?
Or do they work directly for the Council?

Firstly I be more concerned about getting the boiler replaced by the Council immediately.
Ring them and explain your Mothers condition as they may not be aware and ask when the boiler is to be replaced.
Have they already provided temporary heating and a source for hot water if the boiler is a combi?

As it's a Council property your first point for complaint re the boiler condition is with them.
Thanks for the reply

Yes they both work directly for the council, the council were ment to call me to arrange to come and look at the boiler and sort out the replacement of it, the engineer said they would call by yesterday(Friday) which they didnt, went to the property today, boiler has danger stickers all over it and a sheet taped to it with the reason for the shutdown, i then see a calling card saying they attended the property a few hours after the boiler was shutdown to look at the boiler again but couldnt get in, they are fully aware of my mums situation as the engineer who shutdown the boiler had to make arrangements with me to gain access and the amount of times in the past we have spoke with the council to explain they cant just show up as its not possible for her to get to the door and arrangements need to be made for someone to be there is ridiculous, they just dont listen.

As of today we have had no contact with them, she has no heating or hotwater and as its the weekend so we cant speak with anyone until Monday

Surely there must be a 24/7 telephone number.
You'd think that but every number i have found for them is Mon-Fri and the mobile number they left on the card nobody is answering so all i can do is wait until Monday. Im not sure if its an engineer who came to the house when i wasnt there or a surveyor from the council who wanted to look at the boiler, i have no idea.

You'd think that but every number i have found for them is Mon-Fri and the mobile number they left on the card nobody is answering so all i can do is wait until Monday. Im not sure if its an engineer who came to the house when i wasnt there or a surveyor from the council who wanted to look at the boiler, i have no idea.
Do you know who your mother's local councillor is? (It'll be on a website somewhere.) Try calling them.

Reply to Boiler condemned a week after gas safety check didnt pick up any faults, what should i do? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock