Search the forum,

Discuss boiler and pump keep cutting out, before thermostat satisfied! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Flux

wel guys looking for some help with a problem at a house i was called up2 this evening! its a fully pumped vented heating system running of a standard oil boiler 3 zone on programmer upstairs down and hot water! Customer said that problem only started on thursday, when they turn the heating on rads only get luke warm! arrived up this evening and turned zones 1 and 2 on upstairs and down, boiler fired and pump started running all rooms stats where up full and calling for heat and boiler stat was up full! Anyway rads started 2 get warm and then after about 10 mins the boiler and pump shut off, only way 2 get rads warm was 2 put zone 3 on with them which is for hot water! Also when zone 1 and 2 is put on the thermostat on the boiler doesnt seem to be controlling the boiler if i turn it up or down it dosnt knock the boiler on or off but if i turn on zone 3 with 1 and 2 the boiler knocks on and off if i turn the thermostat on it up or down! any throughts guys?? thinking it could be electrical!

Not oil mate but it doesn't initially sound like an appliance issue! Does the boiler get up to temp? Does the boiler have a pump overrun? The latter can make a difference! Next I'd want to know if this was something knew, had any alterations done lately........lol ....That sort of thing! If all negative then how old is the system! If old then you got to think this should have shown by now if electrical otherwise system flow issue? First thoughts Mr Flux :)

Sounds like a possible 2 port valve fault

Sounds like a possible 2 port valve fault

Was thinking the same myself, strange the way it comes comes on when the hot water is called for ! surely a spark could determaine this with a test back at the programmer, to see which device is signaling the boiler to shut off before the desired temp is reached???

im sure you could too if your confident using a multimeter

very simple test

Not oil mate but it doesn't initially sound like an appliance issue! Does the boiler get up to temp? Does the boiler have a pump overrun? The latter can make a difference! Next I'd want to know if this was something knew, had any alterations done lately........lol ....That sort of thing! If all negative then how old is the system! If old then you got to think this should have shown by now if electrical otherwise system flow issue? First thoughts Mr Flux :)

no boiler doesnt get up 2 temp, not sure if it has a over run or not will get more time tomorrow to take a better look at things! No alternations have been made what so ever to the system id say its around 10 year old!

You could try putting all the valves on manual or checking that they are open when they're supose to be yeh?

You could try putting all the valves on manual or checking that they are open when they're supose to be yeh?

aye i will have another look 2mara and and if they are all working fine shes calling in the spark! let yaz know the outcome anyway guys! thanks for the advice :)

hay guys just 2 update yous, called back to the house 2day when heating was off and tured on the zones 1 & 2 rad started 2 warm but as before the boiler and pump soon cut out before the room stat was satisfied! anwway i had a look around and found the 2port for the downstairs rads manually opened the valve and the boiler fired up again, after about 10 mins the rads all where hot! so i know its not a circulation problem, but when i turned it back 2 automatic the boiler shut off again even tho i have zone 1 and 2 lit on the controller panel and the room stat was lit up calling for heat! Anyway i ended up taking of the heads of zone 1 ans 2 and leaving the valve open and just told the customer to use the zone 3 (hot water) to heat all 3 zones until they get a spark to test the room stat and motorised valve for faults! think at this stage it has to be electrical?????

Have you checked it's not the syncron motor in the zone valves. If the valves dont open fully making which sends power back to the boiler. Try turning the boiler stat to zero and check theres demand to the boiler.

As i said when zones 1 and 2 are open the boiler thermostat dosnt knock the boiler on and off when i turn it up or down, only when i put zone 3 on does the thermostat on the boiler start working and kicks the boiler on and off when turn up or down! dont see how it could be the syncron valve because surely the motorised valve would open at all? The rad get luke warm and then the boiler and pump cut off!

Have you checked it's not the syncron motor in the zone valves. If the valves dont open fully making which sends power back to the boiler. Try turning the boiler stat to zero and check theres demand to the boiler.

how do u check it?

When the zone valve opens it has to open fully to hit an end switch inside the valve. The valve can open but not hit the micro switch which sends power back to the boiler. If it's honeywell valves take the top off and iff you look inside you will see the micro switch. Make sure it's hitting it. If not carefully put a neon screwdriver or any protected screw driver and push down on the switch and see if it fires up with the hot water off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler and pump keep cutting out, before thermostat satisfied! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Optimistic
Hi, I've got a ferroli 901 boiler, I initially thought the pcb was at fault so bought a new one and I'm having the same problem ( has been connected correctly), I switch the boiler on, all correct leds light up, pump starts, fan starts, pilot fires up, then it shuts down, all lights go...
Replies
Views
Hi, looking for some advice. We have had an issue with our boiler of late and recently had a 3 port actuator replaced. What’s happening now is when we turn the water and heating on by the control panel the boiler cuts out after a couple of minutes. We opened the valve of the actuator and now...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock