Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler and Heating isssues in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone can help.

About 4 months ago I have had a new Worcester Greenstar fitted in my home with new radiators apart from one 2 ina 4 bedroom house.

The old system was a water tank.

Since we have had it installed we have noticed around a month after installation the pressure dropping, but also hearing loud thuds coming from two radiators upstairs.
We have had Worcester down to check and they advised maybe a leak in pipes! They do not cover this.

I then called Homeserve/24/7 etc and all advised that they will not cover is existing issues. I also calleD a private head sensor company that can locate if a leak and advised would cost around £500+.

Is this a leak? Or could it be air in rads that causing pressure loss? Or is this because we have gone from water tank to combi?

ANYONE HELP PLEASE!

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone can help.

About 4 months ago I have had a new Worcester Greenstar fitted in my home with new radiators apart from one 2 ina 4 bedroom house.

The old system was a water tank.

Since we have had it installed we have noticed around a month after installation the pressure dropping, but also hearing loud thuds coming from two radiators upstairs.
We have had Worcester down to check and they advised maybe a leak in pipes! They do not cover this.

I then called Homeserve/24/7 etc and all advised that they will not cover is existing issues. I also calleD a private head sensor company that can locate if a leak and advised would cost around £500+.

Is this a leak? Or could it be air in rads that causing pressure loss? Or is this because we have gone from water tank to combi?

ANYONE HELP PLEASE!
Ok, When cold and off you pressure the system up to 1.5 bar then go round the rads working round them whilst going back to the boiler to bring back to 1.5 bar until all rads done. System is full and pressurised. How long does it take for the pressure to drop. Let us know, then there are a series of tests you can carry out. I would not bother with a sensor company. Centralheatking

Ok, When cold and off you pressure the system up to 1.5 bar then go round the rads working round them whilst going back to the boiler to bring back to 1.5 bar until all rads done. System is full and pressurised. How long does it take for the pressure to drop. Let us know, then there are a series of tests you can carry out. I would not bother with a sensor company. Centralheatking
Hi Central Heating King, thanks for providing me with the advice! I will have a go doing this. Do you think the issues could be due to us going from a water tank to a combi? Also what could be the loud bang we hear when heating system cools down? These are brand new radiators? When we have the guy that installed the whole system, he said he couldnt see any leaks etc and he topped the pressure to around 2.0 bar, then after about 4/5 days went down to 0.9 bar. You dont think worth taking our boiler cover with 24/7, homeserv or british gas. Guess your not local to manchester, :) Just such a pain all this when it cost us so much to do and nobody can help us :(

Have you contacted the original installer for advice? A decent installer would want you to call them when a problem of this type appears so soon after installation.

Have you contacted the original installer for advice? A decent installer would want you to call them when a problem of this type appears so soon after installation.
This is a new pressurised boiler fitted to a previously open vented system using plenty of the old gravity system no one will guarantee the old stuff in my opinion. Centralheatking
[automerge]1581099721[/automerge]
Hi Central Heating King, thanks for providing me with the advice! I will have a go doing this. Do you think the issues could be due to us going from a water tank to a combi? Also what could be the loud bang we hear when heating system cools down? These are brand new radiators? When we have the guy that installed the whole system, he said he couldnt see any leaks etc and he topped the pressure to around 2.0 bar, then after about 4/5 days went down to 0.9 bar. You dont think worth taking our boiler cover with 24/7, homeserv or british gas. Guess your not local to manchester, :) Just such a pain all this when it cost us so much to do and nobody can help us :(
The maximum cold pressure in a combi system when cold is 1.5 bar no more ...people do ramp the pressure above to hide a leak and buy more time before the next top up. To go from 2.0 bar to 0.9 in 5 days is quite serious. I am an expert in domestic pressurised systems in fact I design devices in this area. However the difference between 1.5 bar and 0.9 bar on a system of say 8 radiators actually amounts to only less than 1-2 litre which can evaporate or be soaked up in a cavity wall or under a wood floor. If I was to go looking Start with the old rad and pipes. However it easily might be on the old pipework supplying the new radiators then its a process of elimination. You won’t get boiler cover on a system with an existing problem. We are based on North Merseyside and need to make a call at a plumbers merchants at Leigh next week on our way to Buxton Email [email protected] title ‘Dan’ and I will see what we can do. Centralheatking

Last edited:
This is a new pressurised boiler fitted to a previously open vented system using plenty of the old gravity system no one will guarantee the old stuff in my opinion. Centralheatking
[automerge]1581099721[/automerge]

The maximum cold pressure in a combi system when cold is 1.5 bar no more ...people do ramp the pressure above to hide a leak and buy more time before the next top up. To go from 2.0 bar to 0.9 in 5 days is quite serious. I am an expert in domestic pressurised systems in fact I design devices in this area. However the difference between 1.5 bar and 0.9 bar on a system of say 8 radiators actually amounts to only less than 1-2 litre which can evaporate or be soaked up in a cavity wall or under a wood floor. If I was to go looking Start with the old rad and pipes. However it easily might be on the old pipework supplying the new radiators then its a process of elimination. You won’t get boiler cover on a system with an existing problem. We are based on North Merseyside and need to make a call at a plumbers merchants at Leigh next week on our way to Buxton Email [email protected] title ‘Dan’ and I will see what we can do. Centralheatking
Just spoken to wife and she advised as I was not here, that the plumber increased pressure to around 1.5/1.8 and took around 2 weeks to drop to around 0.9, apologies. I have emailed Dan as requested.
The plumber that did the work did not want to come back, guess doesn’t want to deal with issues.
Could anything be an issue from going from a water tank to a combi?
Also why do we get 2 loud banging noises both both radiators upstairs when heating shuts off of turns on?
I really am hoping this isn’t going to cost a lot as the system cost a fortune and so did radiators.
Appreciate your help in this matter

Its always a risk going from a vented to sealed system and using the old pipework and as a installer i always make my customers aware there could be leak issues to a point i will only guarantee what i can see , pipework buried in a cement screed is at most risk as a small leak could take months to show its self and very costly to repair, if you have buried pipework then your installer really should of matched the pressure produced by the old system to your new system . Regards kop

Reply to Boiler and Heating isssues in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock