Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler and Flue locations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tony686

flue.JPGHi all,:D

I am in a bit of a quandary, I purchased my home a couple of years ago and when I moved in I found that the flue to my boiler extracted from the home into the garage.

I knew this was not right and spoke to Potterton. They were unable to help me as and advised a flue for my boiler either goes horizontal or vertical, no 90* bends etc allowed.

I obviously wanted to change this so I could use the garage properly, so I created a boxed section which would reduce the height of the roof in the flues location. This meant the roof could stay at the same height and the flue, in theory was venting into the atmosphere, this was a good quick fix.

It has been like this for circa 2 years now, with no problems, no damage from any heat from the flue etc.

My problem now lies, I want to do the rightful thing and get my boiler inspected/serviced, however I do not think what I have done full’s into ‘good practice’ and I would like to see what my options are?

The box/recess is approx 500mmx500mmx400mm deep. The distance from the flue to the wall on the plan view (attached) is only about 250mm, I think this creates is own issue in relation to Building Reg’s, as there is a minimum requirement?

Are there any sensible options available with regards to the extraction, as I am concerned on inspection or servicing by a qualified person, this may cause an issue?:confused:

Many thanks

Tony :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Let a qualified person inspect and advise. Incorrect flues can be extremely dangerous if not fatal, probably the most dangerous things in plumbing as a whole.

Don't take chances with yours or other peoples lives. Nothing's worth the risk.

You may not necessarily see or smell anything to suggest that something's amiss.

Only a person with the correct certification and training may work on a flue, and that's for a very good reason!

Last edited:
WHPES

I understand all of what you have written; I understand why the correct person carries out the work.

Because I am not a qualified, plumber, Corgi registered or have the rubber stamp of any other professional in any other industry does not mean I do not have common sense or indeed have the capability to understand the fundamentals of something or ask a question of why and how?

I have asked on this forum for advise before I engage a qualified person. I understand my limitations. I take my vehicle to a main dealer, but should that stop me asking them a question of what’s wrong and how to fix it, my car can kill as well, but how many people change their brake pads and disc’s (not comparing lethal toxic fumes to my vehicle, but using the principle)?

How many people think they are employing a professional in any industry only to find out they are not so professional in the end, I have had this from experience, I have read about it, I watch TV programmes on it. Therefore I do not think it is unreasonable to research my problem/issue before hand try and understand it.

WHEPS, you clearly do have the wealth of experience, which I too wish I had, but I am not a simple person (not that you have implied that) and wanted to greater my knowledge of my issue so I knew.

Wish I could have done the plumbing install in my house when it was built, therefore I would not have pipes going all over the place in the loft, and resting on the purlins, rattling around and unsupported, not lagged, loft insulation lifted up and not put back so the electrician could get to a light fitting, all professionals apparently, but I will be quiet, had over a check and carry on mowing the lawn in my slippers!

Might as well cancel my membership!

WHPES

I understand all of what you have written; I understand why the correct person carries out the work.

Because I am not a qualified, plumber, Corgi registered or have the rubber stamp of any other professional in any other industry does not mean I do not have common sense or indeed have the capability to understand the fundamentals of something or ask a question of why and how?

I have asked on this forum for advise before I engage a qualified person. I understand my limitations. I take my vehicle to a main dealer, but should that stop me asking them a question of what’s wrong and how to fix it, my car can kill as well, but how many people change their brake pads and disc’s (not comparing lethal toxic fumes to my vehicle, but using the principle)?

How many people think they are employing a professional in any industry only to find out they are not so professional in the end, I have had this from experience, I have read about it, I watch TV programmes on it. Therefore I do not think it is unreasonable to research my problem/issue before hand try and understand it.

WHEPS, you clearly do have the wealth of experience, which I too wish I had, but I am not a simple person (not that you have implied that) and wanted to greater my knowledge of my issue so I knew.

Wish I could have done the plumbing install in my house when it was built, therefore I would not have pipes going all over the place in the loft, and resting on the purlins, rattling around and unsupported, not lagged, loft insulation lifted up and not put back so the electrician could get to a light fitting, all professionals apparently, but I will be quiet, had over a check and carry on mowing the lawn in my slippers!

Might as well cancel my membership!

hi tony.

it looks as if it would be classed as not to current standards but as the other person has said i would advise you to get a RGI to check it.

if you find out the make and model of boiler i will look at the manufactures instructions for you.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
You have asked advise from this site without giving all the imformation, make & model of boiler would help. Manufactures instructions can be totally different from gas safety regs, if the manufacture says that only 25mm clearance is require then that rule applies.
Martin.

there has to be a minimun distance from the end of the flue to a surface facing it, look in the boiler manufactures instructions, you should be able to download old ones from the manufacturers website, the "box" youve made could be interpretd as a lightwell, different measurements will aplly to this, I dont like the situation here that has been created, you might have made a box where fumes can not escape effectively and the air inlet might be sucking in some of these fumes rather than fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler and Flue locations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock