Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry, loads of these questions on here. Getting a new boiler as current 18 year old one is packing up and would like some advice.
Opted for one of the online retailers - BOXT/boiler central/heatable as the plumbers I've spoken to locally are busy or not available for weeks and my wife's getting angry about cold showers.

After some sensible advice about a combi boiler for a two bed/one bath/6 radiator terraced house. Its in a kitchen cupboard so doesn't matter what it looks like, needs to be less than 300mm deep. Good if it was compatible with Hive thermostat.

Looking at Alpha E-Tec 28kw - £1600, 10 year warranty. Seems good value, some comments about expensive parts. Steel heat exchanger which I've read is better.
Worcester Greenstar CDI Compact - £2000 12 year warranty. Not really clear whats better about this than Greenstar 2000 or Greenstar i but chap who quoted said they were terrible and CDI was ok.
Ideal Logic+ 30 £1825 10 year warranty.

Any help or suggestion very welcome. Just after a reliable boiler at a sensible price. Thanks.

I'm always very sceptical about these online boiler swap groups. They advertise "Get a new boiler installed within 24 hours". Any decent engineer knows the importance of a home survey first, to do a thorough heat loss calculation and familiarise themselves with the current system and gas supply. Turning up on the day with a boiler and doing a straight swap isn't always ending in a desired outcome. Admittedly your needs seem very basic and I don't see too many problems, however there are lots of variables that need taken into consideration before a job like this and I can't see how this is achieved without a home visit first. As above I would be inclined to find a local engineer who knows their product and has a good understanding, although I appreciate your family situation.

Just my thoughts.

Boxt is all about the extras. If you dont give every finite detail, which if your not in the heating business you will struggle, they will have your pants down.

This is one of the reasons your heating engineer is for life. If you have a good service engineer they will look after you. I dont do gas, but do oil, and if one of my customers has a terminal issue with their boiler then I will make sure I fit a replacement as soon as I can get hold of the new boiler.

Its give and take and unfortunately the world we live in is all about take.

Worcester are shareholders in boxy aren’t they.

I agree with other try to find a local recommended guy. Where abouts are you

the new baxi boilers are GOOD, fitted lots and quite silent. get on baxi site for recommended installer,
they g/tee is also good,

The worcester cdi compact is a time tested quality boiler.
The baxi is a nice boiler, I find the 800 to be the best value.
I wouldn't quote for alpha or ideal.

Worcester with 'easy control' would be my first option.
If you don't want to pay for efficient controls then I'd recommend baxi to work with hive.

Worcester are shareholders in boxy aren’t they.

I agree with other try to find a local recommended guy. Where abouts are you

no there not robert Bosch holdings are

Thanks for all the input.
I got a couple of local heating engineers and I'm still chasing them for quotes and times, I'm in York.
Neither of them liked the Worcester range. One liked Valliant but they don't fit in the cupboard, the other was keen on Baxi or the top end Ideal Vogue that I think is a bit pricey. I'll try and find a Baxi installer locally who can fit one soon I think.

Worcester Bosch - Vaillant - Baxi - Potterton

Reply to Boiler Advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock