Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advice - System or Heat only boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I wanted some advice on what boiler I need. A system or heat only boiler.

My property was built in 1998. I have an unvented cylinder, there is no separate water tank in the loft. I have two en-suite rooms i.e. one bath and one shower. The system runs off the mains water supply. Two bed property with 7 radiators.

My current boiler is an Ideal Classic FF230. I was looking for a Worchester Bosch but do I need a "system" or "heat only" boiler? i.e. Worchester Bosch – 18RI (heat only) or Worchester Bosch 18i (system).

Thanks for any input.

Heat only boiler needs external pump and expansion/safety devices (your system may already have them fitted and they may or may not need altering) while a system boiler includes them. That's the difference, in a nutshell.

The registered gas installer carrying out the replacement work will be able to comment on which is more suitable for connection to your existing system. I would always advise you get the installer to both supply and fit. That way, any problem after installation is the responsibility of the installer who both supplied and fitted the boiler.

1. My preference is for heat only. Saves you having to pay manufacturer's price for new pump, expansion vessel etc.
2. Given you already have other system components, heat only might enable you to reuse them. Should also cut down the cost of installation.
3. Unless you already have them, you will need TRVs on every radiator but one.
4. The new installation will also need to be ERP compliant, so you will probably need at least a new room thermostat.
5. Unless you already have one, it would be sensible to install a magnetic filter. Modern boilers have smaller waterways (to make them more efficient) so need much cleaner system water.
6. The Worcester has the flow and return at the base of the boiler, whereas the Classic has them at the top. You will need either modified pipework, or a stand off frame with pipes going up behind the boiler.

Thanks for your reply thats very helpful. One other question in case you know. The Ideal boiler power lead comes out at the bottom and goes into my wall then behind the tiles and connected to power behind the tiled wall. Will the installer be able to use the lead thats connected at the boiler end and switch it to the Worchester Bosch? I want to avoid breaking up the tiles to get the lead connected to the socket. Thanks.

Don't see why not not provided:
1. It is long enough to reach the connection point on the new boiler without strain.
2. It is three core and earth.
3. It terminates in a plug or goes into a double pole switched cable outlet. Three amp fuse.

Don't see why not not provided:
1. It is long enough to reach the connection point on the new boiler without strain.
2. It is three core and earth.
3. It terminates in a plug or goes into a double pole switched cable outlet. Three amp fuse.

Thanks, the current one goes into a double pole switch. So hopefully it does. Thanks for your helpful replies.

I have just been looking at the Worcester Bosch website they claim that they have room at the back for the pipe work: See here: Do I need a standoff kit to pipe up the back of your boilers? | Worcester Bosch (worcester-bosch.co.uk)

Do I need a standoff kit to pipe up the back of your boilers?
No, rear piping is possible on all wall hung Greenstar boilers with room behind the appliance built in for such scenarios. Pre piping kits are also available for all our Greenstar range to save you time bending pipework. On the Greenstar CDi Classic range, the pre piping kit also comes with the gas pipe.

Wall mounting templates are included with our Greenstar boilers and show pipework paths for rear piping.

For a relatively small property I'd probably go for the system boiler. The built in expansion vessel will and motor are plenty for a 2 bed house and they are housed neatly inside the boiler, which will save a bit of space elsewhere. They'll also covered by the Bosch warranty, which can be ten or more years depending on your installer.

But this is all stuff your installer will advise you about. Don't worry about getting the right boiler, it's much more important to get the right installer. If you can do that then everything else should fall into place with minimum hassle.

OK, thanks for the replies.

The supplier said that Worcester Bosch now cannot supply the boiler until next year. So they have offered me a Vaillant EcoFit Pure 418 instead (for the same price). Alternatively, I can wait until next year for the Worcester Bosch (Greenstar 18Ri). They say the Vaillant is more expensive. Any thoughts on which one is better? thanks.

Reply to Boiler advice - System or Heat only boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock