Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Advice Gloworm Micron 50FF in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone.
Had a problem with our boiler last Sunday which is a Gloworm Micron 50FF and probably 25 years old.
Flashing sequence of lights indicated that the thermistor had failed which seemed like a pretty easy fix, anyway we called a gas engineer who agreed this was the fault and said he would get one ordered.
Fitted today and that fault has gone but now he has said that the gas valve is faulty so we are still without a boiler.
He said it could have been because it was off for a week.
My question is should I keep throwing money at this boiler or just get it replaced?
Its cost us £250+VAT so far and we are still without a boiler.

The gas valve alone is in the region of £140, plus fitting, so could cost another say £250, that’s then £500 spent on a boiler, which could be replaced for not much more. I would be tempted to get a 2nd opinion. What’s the issue? Does it not light?

Thanks for the reply.
All was good until a fault code regarding the thermistor which was replaced.
Now they have said there is a fault with the gas valve that maybe has stuck as it was off for a week and needs replacing.
When heating is calling fan runs, sounds like the solenoid is clicking in and can hear the spark before it starts again.
Have voltage at the valve between the n and both lives at the gas valve on the plug.
I will go for new boiler rather than pay for another repair, as it was 2 different engineers could the first one have turned the gas off and the second one didn’t check?

It this an isolator it’s on the gas inlet?

Attachments

• EBA3B40F-9133-471E-A94C-3DE7425A0C40.jpeg
    EBA3B40F-9133-471E-A94C-3DE7425A0C40.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 12

Reply to Boiler Advice Gloworm Micron 50FF in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock