Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advice - can you use a system boiler on an open vent system? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have a boiler problem I hope someone on here can help please.

I currently have an open vent gravity feed system and a 10yr old boiler which is showing signs of terminal "kaputiness". The boiler is dripping consistently now (although not to bad yet) although it is still working.

I am looking to upgrade the whole plumbing system to a sealed, unvented system in the next 6m or so and will be responding the boiler part of the big project (including bathroom replacement). Given the current issue with the boiler, I wonder whether it is a good idea to have the boiler replaced now in advance so that there is no risk over the winter.

My question is this: is it possible to run a system boiler with an open vented system?

Thanks in advance
Flapajack

Most manufacturers have boilers that can operate on open vent or a sealed system just by adding a expansion vessel and sealed system kit , there are ways to do it with a system boiler intergas , Worcester to name 2 contact your GSI for guidance . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-161041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191208-161041_Chrome.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I understand this is three case, especially if you are just using a standard boiler but can convert your open vented plumbing to a sealed one by adding the expansion tank.

With some of the specifically designed system boilers these days there are both an expansion tank and a pump built in similar to a Combi boiler. I presumed with this I can get rid of the CH/DHW pump currently in the airing cupboard as well as the need for a separate expansion tank?

Reply to Boiler advice - can you use a system boiler on an open vent system? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority hot water pack I currently have a 15year old HWC around 900mm tall by 450mm dia would I benefit from a new fast recovery HWC for the system (I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock