Search the forum,

Discuss Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

You have no recourse really you bunged it up. BUT you do have the right to pay a fair price IF damage was caused. Get an invoice or send a solicitors letter to your LL

You have no recourse really you bunged it up. BUT you do have the right to pay a fair price IF damage was caused. Get an invoice or send a solicitors letter to your LL
I already told him I will pay for damages, so its not like I have no recourse. Problem is that landlord is refusing to come clean on the cost, so I don't know how much it is. According to him he already spent 500+vat and still waiting for more parts 4 months after the incident.

Would remove it, its obvious, but why call anyone if heater is disconnected from power and oil supply thus not operational. We still had some property inside the property.

Well he’s fired it up so can’t be that much disconnected

This is where I’m saying. Get a letter drawn up. Say if he will not provide you with costing then you will be seeking to get an independent assessment carried out of the works involved to find a “fair” total

Well he got an engineer to do it, so no surprise. Average Joe would not know how to connect this things don't you think.

I very much doubt it was disconnected from the oil lines just turned off / fuse pulled

Hence the needing for a safety check for the new tennant

If it was disconnected he wouldn’t need to do this

I've found in my email from the landlord that both combustion unit and firing unit were damaged from the blowback and need replacement. Could any engineer comment on that? How likely is it?

Without inspecting the installation? For free? On an open internet forum?

No.
Fair enough. Could you at least tell me if a blocked flue is something any engineer should notice straight away when servicing oil heater. Is it possible to service it and just after you finish and switch it on you would realize there is a blockage.

I think you have to look at it from the perspective of the engineer too. Why would you look for something blocking it asbthe first port of call. When I go out and do a gas inspection on a boiler I don’t check the flue first to make sure someone hasn’t wedged stuff in it.

You are going in circles here. We cannot confirm what damage could have been caused as we can’t see the appliance. You can either enlist an engineer and get a formal invoice for works from your LL or just move on

See my post #6
Make sens. Thanks. Do you know if this type of heaters require annual inspection on commercial property? Is it done only once new tenant moves in? Who is responsible for the service and should tenant be provided with a copy of certificate?

Why would you look for something blocking it as the first port of call.

But if as stated the oil (or gas) and electrical supply was disconnected wouldn't you be suspicious as to why?
It could have been disconnected as faulty.

Re servicing, yes all combustion appliances require at least annual servicing and there should be evidence available that it's been done, but as above it may be in the Lease / Tenancy agreement for the tenant to do it.

But one persons definition of disconnected isn’t the same as another’s necessarily. It could’ve just been turned off at the wall and the incoming tenant never turned it on. Like I said above we are blind to this case we have no pics and don’t even know what make and model it is. OP has had lots of good suggestions but seems intent on proving the engineer is at fault when no one on here can say hand on heart he’s at fault. For all we know he went in took the obstruction out got the heater working and it’s just the LL being devious.

But one persons definition of disconnected isn’t the same as another’s necessarily. It could’ve just been turned off at the wall and the incoming tenant never turned it on. Like I said above we are blind to this case we have no pics and don’t even know what make and model it is. OP has had lots of good suggestions but seems intent on proving the engineer is at fault when no one on here can say hand on heart he’s at fault. For all we know he went in took the obstruction out got the heater working and it’s just the LL being devious.
Or the LL switched it back on to check it still works, didn’t check for a blockage. And had to call someone in to fix the mess.

Do you have it in writing that the oil boiler is disconnected/should not be used, what is the exact wording of the notification, that's where you start, the illegal access by the LL is your next course of action.

Couple of other thoughts, was this a "Full Repairing" lease?

Wording is very important, for instance:

"Your employees complained of an excessive draft in the premises, upon investigation it was found that the old decommissioned boiler was not fitted with a back draft shutter to the flue, we therefore, insulated this to facilitate a better working environment."

Sounds better than we stuffed some old rags up the flue to block it off.

Last edited:
Personally in that instance where the LL seems to be trying to have your pants down I would have denied all knowledge of the rags etc.

Admittedly I wouldn’t have messed with it in the first place and if I had I’d have labelled it very clearly at the isolation points.

Was the appliance physically disconnected from electrical power and fuel? If so I’d be questioning if it was still considered a heating appliance. There’s not law saying you can’t but a boiler and play with it in our living room, it’s only when you connect it to a fuel/gas source it becomes illegal.

If it’s been disconnected/out of service for an extended period surely it would need to be re commissioned before lightning?

Reply to Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock