Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked waste pipe from bathroom basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woldig120

In our bathroom there is a bath, separate shower and a wash basin. They have been in for about twenty years. Now the trap and pipe from the wash basin get clogged and the waste water seeps away. There are only two of us and there is no problem with the bath or shower. The basin and shower are connected to the same pipe outside the house. So I have to dismantle the trap and pipework and clean them. Usually do this on the garden at the back. Fortunately the joints are push fits so no problem re-assembling the pipework and trap.
Any thoughts on why this blockage occurs and how we can stop it happening. My wife does not like me climbing a ladder as I am now a silver surfer.

is the shower used on a regular basis woldig? If it is I am thinking maybe hair and stuff like that is causing your slow drainage?

nysk2008, As I said in my original post, there is no problem with the separate shower or the bath. It is only the wash hand basin trap and pipe which gets blocked. When it gets blocked again may fit new pipes to see if that will solve the problem.

How do you normally clear it?

Perhaps something as low tech as a plunger will do the trick.

When you have got it clear ! give it a treatment once a Mth with costic soda, mix it up about a pint poor into sink trap & leave over night helps to clear sticky residue from trap & pipe & its cheep !

When you have got it clear ! give it a treatment once a Mth with costic soda, mix it up about a pint poor into sink trap & leave over night helps to clear sticky residue from trap & pipe & its cheep !

Red hot sal****er with baking soda, also does the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mountainman and others.
I remove the trap and pipes and clean them in cold water. I pull dusters through the pipes and use an old tooth brush on the inside of the trap. I then pour very hot water from a kettle through the pipes and the trap before re-assembling the pipes. I may wash my hands in this basin when I have been gardening, but this is normally only once a week. Otherwise it is only after we have used the toilet or when I wash my face after I have shaved. I use an electric shaver in the bedroom so no hairs down the wash basin.
lexicon. Trap is immediately under the basin. There is then a short length of plastic pipe, a 90 degree coupling to another longer length of plastic pipe which goes through the outside wall. Both of these are horizontal. Outside, there is another 90 degree elbow joint which connects to a vertical section. The bottom end of this pipe goes into a sloping section of pipe, one end coming from the shower and the other end goes into the hopper with a waste pipe from the bath and the down pipe from the gutter at the eaves.

Complety horizontal with a spirit level? , if so, not ideal , you would want a slight run away from basin , showing on the bubble in the spirit level ... Though i am sure you know this ?

Hope you get it sorted,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked waste pipe from bathroom basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock