Search the forum,

Discuss BLOCKED OUTSIDE DRAIN in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The last drain on our property (ie before the runway leaves our front garden to join the public sewer -presumably under the pavement/road in front of our house) keeps blocking up.

We have lived here for over 30 years without any previous problems!

I have bought some rods, used the plunger attachment and successfully removed whatever was causing the blockage under or beyond the U bend.

The water starts to flow again and then blocks up again after a couple of days.

I have gone through this routine several times and it's now blocked again for the 4th time!

I have contacted our water authority who say that this (final) drain is on our property so is our responsibility.

Has anyone any ideas on what is causing the problem and how it can be permanently cured?

Have you got any plumbing and drainage cover with your home insurance may be worth giving them a call.

If not get a drainage company to put a camera down to inspect it. See what they advise.

If not dig it out and see what’s causing the issue.

Rods and plunges are ok, get a traditional proper mop , wet it up getva hose going and vugouriusly pump,it up and down, the traction achieved this way is considerable , wives are usually better at this esp.when it’s smelly going dark and the television is good ..Rob Foster aka centralheatking

How old is your property? Is it likely your drains are clay? If so then part of it could easily have collapsed. Only way to tell would be with a camera or dig it up yourself. Just because the drains on your property doesn't mean it's your responsibility. If your in a semi or row of terraced houses and their drains connect into yours then this is the responsibility of the local water authority.

+ 1 for collapse, I'd try and get the water board out, or pay a cctv survey. While you're at it get all your drains surveyed if you're not thinking of moving.

It it’s a
+ 1 for collapse, I'd try and get the water board out, or pay a cctv survey. While you're at it get all your drains surveyed if you're not thinking of moving.
private not shared drain no chance of a utility freebie but give them a go ....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Always worth a punt. "Theres a blocked drain, not sure whose it is" offer them a tea and a biscuit when they turn up and see if they'll have a look. ;)

As above ^^^^ maybe on a collapse , but unless you have actually pulled something out you may just be actually moving the blockage .
Defo moan at the water board / council though .

Thanks for all replies and advice.

I have cover under my home insurance so will put a claim in just as soon as it next gets blocked. At present I am checking drain 2 daily! House is built on London clay so could be subsidence - presumably insurance call-out engineer will use camera.

Tip re traditional mop noted!

Affinity water has confirmed that our drains are not shared with our semi-detached neighbour.

If problem eg subsidence is on our side of boundary then hopefully our insurance will respond (possibly excess to pay). If trouble is on public side of boundary then I presume Affinity/Thames Water will do the required work and foot all the bill!?

Again, thanks for all your help and advice.

Thanks for all replies and advice.

I have cover under my home insurance so will put a claim in just as soon as it next gets blocked. At present I am checking drain 2 daily! House is built on London clay so could be subsidence - presumably insurance call-out engineer will use camera.

Tip re traditional mop noted!

Affinity water has confirmed that our drains are not shared with our semi-detached neighbour.

If problem eg subsidence is on our side of boundary then hopefully our insurance will respond (possibly excess to pay). If trouble is on public side of boundary then I presume Affinity/Thames Water will do the required work and foot all the bill!?

Again, thanks for all your help and advice.
Just watch out going down the subsidence route ..it might end up with an adverse report when you come to sell up. Centralheatking

Reply to BLOCKED OUTSIDE DRAIN in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
We had a blocked outside drain .Got the same guy out again to unblock . Sewage is coming through the drain . How do you tell if you have shared drains? We have a drain at bottom of yard a little square one that seems to always get blocked.
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Help! I'm in a bit of a panic and need advice. Our kitchen outside drain is blocked and nothing is shifting it. I reckon it's time to call in the professional or United Utilities (we have shared drains and they have done this in the past). However, there is one problem. There is still...
Replies
Views
Hi We have been in our property for about 6 months. It was built in 2019. After about a month the downstairs toilet was blocked so we called Dyno-rod who did their stuff and about £200 later it was fixed! 5 months later and it has happened again - I can't afford to keep paying for the fix...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock