Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lataro

In early December our condensate pipe got blocked. At first we thought it was to do with the freezing temperatures but now the weather has improved and the pipe remains blocked. I had to resort to buying a hose to attach to the back of the boiler and the condensating water is draining into a bucket in our bedroom. This was after we had tried pouring boiling water down the pipe to try to unblock the problem.

As neither us nor our plumber know where the condensate pipe leads to outside the house, it has been suggested by them that we install a pump leading up to the loft to drain the water. We have the impression they are not keen on doing this, as we have been waiting weeks now for them to provide us with a quote and so far nothing!

As a work around and to save ourselves a few hundred pounds I am tempted to re-direct the hose to the DHW PRV pipe. There's an opening in that pipe that releases water if the pressure is too high. If I ensure that the condensate water goes down that pipe it should be ok, shouldn't it?? It's only condensating water so I think this could work?

Would appreciate anyones opinion who knows about these things.

Thanks very much

lol no it wouldnt be ok, the condense water is acidic, the blow off will only be out of the wall and angled towards the house prob. the plumber is on about a condense pump, they cost 60-80 quid so adding labour to that your looking at anything in the region of 150-200 depending how far and how quick they are.

Have you tried a snake down the blocked pipe or otherwise tried to clean it?

lol no it wouldnt be ok, the condense water is acidic, the blow off will only be out of the wall and angled towards the house prob. the plumber is on about a condense pump, they cost 60-80 quid so adding labour to that your looking at anything in the region of 150-200 depending how far and how quick they are.

Cheers q-plumb, I'm glad I came here to ask :) so much for that master plan!

Have you tried a snake down the blocked pipe or otherwise tried to clean it?

The snake is probably the only option I haven't tried, I'll have to go to B&Q tomorrow and get one. One of the problems I have it's that it's difficult to get to the pipe behind the boiler, I can barely squeeze between the wall the boiler to get to it.

Thanks for your suggestion WHPES.

As Q-plumb says the water is acidic so must not be run in copper pipe - only plastic.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
what route does your condense pipe take if you cant find the blockage? I take it its behind cupboards? Where does it join the waste system? does it run under floorboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock