Search the forum,

Discuss blockage in bathroom pipes! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello! I'm new here and need some help. The wash basin in my bathroom was blocked and it was taking water ages to go down the plughole so I used a plunger which did a great job. Unfortunately the water now is coming up inside my bath through the plughole and won't go back down! So now when I use the wash basin the water is coming in the bath and won't budge. I've tried using the plunger on the bath and it does nothing. I've tried plunging the wash basin again and it does nothing. Any suggestions please?!

Hello! I'm new here and need some help. The wash basin in my bathroom was blocked and it was taking water ages to go down the plughole so I used a plunger which did a great job. Unfortunately the water now is coming up inside my bath through the plughole and won't go back down! So now when I use the wash basin the water is coming in the bath and won't budge. I've tried using the plunger on the bath and it does nothing. I've tried plunging the wash basin again and it does nothing. Any suggestions please?!
Hi Laura, you have come to the right place. In order that we can help you
1. Is this your property ? if its a rental you might call your home provider
2. Is your property a flat or a house ?
3. is there a toilet and or shower tray nearby ? are they ok so far ?
has this happened before ? if you have neighbours on the same level if its flats
or in your street are they in the same position ?
let us know soon as PF is returning from work soon ...we are real plumbers..and might well
be able to help you....centralheatking

Most likely your bath and wash basin use the same waste pipe, which after the join between them runs to the main foul waste pipe. By plunging the wash basin, you may have pushed the blockage which caused the original slow draining to a point beyond the junction of the bath and basin waste pipes, but (probably) before the foul waste down pipe.

If you block basin waste and overflow, and the bath overflow, and plunge the bath waste, you may be lucky enough to shift the blockage to the main drain, where it may be dissipated.

If not lucky, I'd suggest calling a plumber to investigate and clear the blockage. It could be the main sewage, but in that case I'd expect you to also have problems with toilets clearing.

Hi Laura, you have come to the right place. In order that we can help you
1. Is this your property ? if its a rental you might call your home provider
2. Is your property a flat or a house ?
3. is there a toilet and or shower tray nearby ? are they ok so far ?
has this happened before ? if you have neighbours on the same level if its flats
or in your street are they in the same position ?
let us know soon as PF is returning from work soon ...we are real plumbers..and might well
be able to help you....centralheatking

Hello and thank you both for your replies! I live in a ground floor flat and it is rented privately. There is indeed a toilet nearby and the shower is above the bath, both seem fine so far. It has happened before but not this bad. I've noticed in the past a bad smell coming from the bath plug hole when I've used the wash basin and sometimes hear a gurgling form the bath when water goes down the basin but the water has not come up from the bath before. I have a next door neighbour the same as mine but I never see her to ask if she has similar problems. I would like if possible to sort this out before needing to call my landlords as I don't like to bother them but obviously if it's something i can't do myself I will have to call them. Thank you for your help!
[automerge]1572533540[/automerge]
Most likely your bath and wash basin use the same waste pipe, which after the join between them runs to the main foul waste pipe. By plunging the wash basin, you may have pushed the blockage which caused the original slow draining to a point beyond the junction of the bath and basin waste pipes, but (probably) before the foul waste down pipe.

If you block basin waste and overflow, and the bath overflow, and plunge the bath waste, you may be lucky enough to shift the blockage to the main drain, where it may be dissipated.

If not lucky, I'd suggest calling a plumber to investigate and clear the blockage. It could be the main sewage, but in that case I'd expect you to also have problems with toilets clearing.

thank you for your reply! I'm hoping i can sort this out without needing to call my landlords but we'll see, it's quite smelly too!

When you use your plunger block up the overflows on the basin and the bath you will get more traction...if you get really keen get an old fashioned string type mop and wet it up
and vigourously ..cant spell.. work it into the bog pan its amazing how much pressure you will generate...but do not be afraid of your landlord ...centralheatking

When you use your plunger block up the overflows on the basin and the bath you will get more traction...if you get really keen get an old fashioned string type mop and wet it up
and vigourously ..cant spell.. work it into the bog pan its amazing how much pressure you will generate...but do not be afraid of your landlord ...centralheatking

Thank you for your reply, i tried covering up the overflow holes on both the bath and the sink and put the plug in the sink too but im a bit wary of trying to plug the toilet up lol! Is plunging the bath really my best option or is there anyting else I can try? Would you recommend that drain buster stuff at all?

It seems major plumbing issue you should have contact professional plumbers instead of DIY. He will surely identify the main root of this hassle and to fix it efficiently.

The advice you have already been given, to try your plunger again, but this time blocking the basin waste and both overflows is good advice. You can also try blocking both overflows, filling the bath and basin with water, then whilst running water into your basin, take the bath plug out, and give the basin a vigorous plunging. You will probably make water go everywhere, so ideally a few handy towels for soaking up, should be at hand. Then as the bath is still a third full, try a vigorous bath plunging, with lots of upward force, you may see bits pulled up through the plug hole, try and catch them and pull them out by hand. If you do manage to clear the blockage, then in the future, if you normally & mainly use your bath to shower in, and do not have many actual baths, which lots of people do, myself included. It is a good idea, to occasionally fill the bath and then just empty it, this is because if it is used just to shower in, hair can easily build-up to a point where it forms a solid plug in the waste pipe, and the extra force of water when emptying a filled bath, can make all the difference in keeping the waste pipes clear. Good luck.

Reply to blockage in bathroom pipes! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock