Search the forum,

Discuss Blending valve combi to increase flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Don't know if any of you have watched PB's latest YouTube vid. He installs an atag combi and straight from the hot water outlet, he fit a TMV, now I can only presume this is to increase flow rate of the hot water.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't using a tmv in this way wrong? The use of tmvs is for the vulnerable right and should be installed if the risk of scalding is greater than the risk of legionella, so PB's use of the valve is incorrect as he is creating an unnecessary breading ground for legionella. Is there any regs against this or is it just not best practice?

depends what temp its set at, if its 60 your fine if lower bit naughty as its connected to the water mains it comes under there ruling for legionellas

depends what temp its set at, if its 60 your fine if lower bit naughty as its connected to the water mains it comes under there ruling for legionellas
He set it to 50°, I suppose any higher and it would be ineffective as the water temp won't leave the boiler any higher.

Huston we have a problem then

• Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher
  • Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).
  • Cold water should be stored and distributed below 20°C.
above is from the HSE website "Managing legionella in hot and cold water systems"
Blending valve installed to manage the risk of scalding such as those required to be installed on every new bath installed under Part G should be fitted as close as reasonable practical to the fitting (point of use).
Blending valves used to protect against over temp in solar or primary stores (thermal limiting valves) & the like are set to 60/65 degC.

I honestly think that people like that fit these unnecessary things just purely so they can say I fit this and that etc.

It's like the deaerator thingy (never saw one until matchless put a picture up so I google them) on a sealed system what the hell do you need a deaerator for?

It's all just so they can justify charging ÂŁ800-900 just for a combi swap.

Saw that video and in my head it makes no sense whatsoever as its just reducing the max outlet temperature and not increasing the flow rate any more than just running a bit of cold at the same time (which would achieve the same goal... If anything have even better flow rates as the connections to the taps themselves are often the biggest restriction in flow rate).

I honestly think that people like that fit these unnecessary things just purely so they can say I fit this and that etc.

It's like the deaerator thingy (never saw one until matchless put a picture up so I google them) on a sealed system what the hell do you need a deaerator for?

It's all just so they can justify charging ÂŁ800-900 just for a combi swap.
Who are we talking about?;)

Reply to Blending valve combi to increase flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with a newly installed UFH system. There are 2 manifolds, one with 5 loops, the other with 9. Both are made by Herz, model no 1732007. Pump is a Wilo Yonic Para something something. Boiler is Vaillant Elo Block 14. My trouble is that setting the TMV to its minimum...
Replies
Views
Are there fundamental differences in some of these TMVs?. The attached one, below, would seem to be the better type where a shuttle moves to balance the hot&cold flows, as it increases one flow it decreases the other to keep the mixed flow constant, necessary say in showers etc. I have seen...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock