Search the forum,

Discuss Bleeding rads on open vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

On a thread I started recently , cannot find which one, somebody mentioned that bleeding of the rads on an open vented system should be done with the pump off so as to not possibly draw air into the system. Do I read into this then that auto bleed valves are not a good idea on that type of system for the
very same reason?

auto air vents auto seal so you would be fine either way unless the auto air vent is broken eg venting water

Thanks I was not sure. My system, inherited, seems to have a mixture of manual and auto valves, one of which a Honeywell type is kaput so will get a replacement.

On a thread I started recently , cannot find which one, somebody mentioned that bleeding of the rads on an open vented system should be done with the pump off so as to not possibly draw air into the system. Do I read into this then that auto bleed valves are not a good idea on that type of system for the
very same reason?
I would go for manual vents. AAV's are notoriously leaky. Bane of my life, well one of the bane's anyway.

On the Honeywell site it states that the vent should be fitted on the positive side. Is this due to the possibility of drawing air in on the negative side or not? There is one either side of my boiler!

On the Honeywell site it states that the vent should be fitted on the positive side. Is this due to the possibility of drawing air in on the negative side or not? There is one either side of my boiler!
Yes.
Do you know where the neutral point of your system is?
From that point to the back of the Pump is more often than not negative and the front of the pump back to the negative point is more often than not, positive.
If you follow that.

Am I correct in thinking the neutral point is where the 15mm pipe from the F&E tanks meets the pipework of the heating. Mine meets just at the pump on the inlet side, which I assume you mean by the back of the pump.

Mine is like this.
xclose_coupled_system.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pcpylv1wFl.jpg

So looking at that most of my system is positive pressure, hence the 2 auto valves either side of the boiler. Never knew about the 150mm max between F&E pipe and the discharge pipe. Both of mine actually eminate from an air separator.

Reply to Bleeding rads on open vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The hot water tank I believe is a closed system but is on the same level as the bath. Therefore as you might guess the water pressure at the bath even on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock